PDA

View Full Version : Armitage Book

heritage
02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Is it a good read?

TFX
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
From a historical perspective yes, but do not attempt George's methods yourself. He was very hard on the dogs.

heritage
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Right on! Thx for the warning on that. I'm tryna decide which book to add to my collection next. I've got the PBB, Ed's book, Gary's Book, one by Colby, and Bob Stevens' book. Is there one I should add before Armitage's?

southend
02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
From a historical perspective yes, but do not attempt George's methods yourself. He was very hard on the dogs.
he sure was hard on them dogs, but its a great read that you get a sence of what it was like in those days , its a must

R2L
02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Right on! Thx for the warning on that. I'm tryna decide which book to add to my collection next. I've got the PBB, Ed's book, Gary's Book, one by Colby, and Bob Stevens' book. Is there one I should add before Armitage's?

franc rocca?

Officially Retired
02-04-2012, 04:50 AM

The Hollingsworth Dogs (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/Hollingsworth) :mrgreen:

SGC
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
There are quite a few good bulldog books available. The Armitage book is a good one to read, so is the Hanna book “The Pit Bull Terrier and His Master” from 1926. And there is the Glass book “The Sporting Bull Terrier” which is on line here –

http://www.pitbullclassics.com/sportingterrierbook.pdf

Frank Rocca wrote 3 books, his most recent is “Fighting for Life” but that book is now getting hard to find. Same with the 2 Bullyson books, they are hard to find and expensive.

The Crenshaw book “My Life and Times with the American Pit Bull Terrier” is worth having too. Of course the 4 Richard Stratton books are classics now. And TL Williams did 4 or 5 books too. Jack’s The Hollingsworth Dogs book is excellent as well.

There are a lot to chose from. The Armitage and Hanna books have been reprinted for some years now but the older reprints are of better printing quality with sharper photos.

This web site has some of these books -- http://www.apbtbooks.com/Books.html

tirofijo04
02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree with TFX from a historical point of view Armitage''s book is a good read, yet his methods are not recommended. I love Ed's book, one of my all time favorite is Dogs of Velvet and steel by Mr. Stevens..

gamebred75
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
wildside is a great one to have as well 2008 indispensiable tips cal.jacks colby is a good one louis one i have just about every one published on the hogs as well gazzettes journals everything fighting for life rocco book great as well and the game dog times honestly biggest let down r my bullyson books and crenshaw ones i personnal thought they would of been better.hammonds is a good one only what i think though strattons r good

QCKLime
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
They have 30 Years with Fighting Dogs on Amazon right now with the "Look Inside!" feature, and wow..... there's some very compelling stuff in there, just in the PREVIEW of the book!!

One of the match accounts it documents tells of a pure Colby dog being licked by a mutt that was half Boston Terrier and half Bull Terrier, I believe it went on to say the dog made CH, or at least 2xw. The Colby dog QUIT to it. Could you imagine a pit bull of today quitting to anything resembling a Boston Terrier? Anything with a DROP of Boston Terrier blood in it that wasn't crossed up with a bulldog? Just goes to show you how much things have changed.

It also told of how a guy who'd screwed him over in a deal went to a NOTARY and had it officially documented when he recanted his story and apologized to clear his name. A NOTARY. I couldn't believe that.

Another thing of note is that the writer gave the impression that it was pretty common practice to keep curs around and use them later on, for rolling, matching again, AND breeding. The couple of stories you could read in the "peak" made it very clear that they found other uses for the animals that had quit in earlier shows, which I found interesting. Not at all like how the everyday "hard asses" make the good old days seem. I wonder how many of those blowhards have read actual history books such as this, as opposed to getting all of their historical data from a google site.

I'll definitely be buying this book, as well as some of the old classics written in the 20's-30's.

southend
02-14-2012, 11:13 AM

thats one id reccomend a great read

southend
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
The boston terrier was only being developed at the time so still had a lot of fighting bull terrier in him before the kennel club finished them, just like the english bull could fight one time ,in that rocca book fighting for life he states how Walter Kominski had white hinkle bull terriers blended in to his strain and back in the day the could fight all the above books you mentioned are worth a read

TFX
02-14-2012, 03:27 PM

FYI Jack: My 10 1/2 year old daughter is reading The Hollingworth Dogs currently and thorughly enjoying it. :)

gabbagabbahey
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Got a copy of the original Armitage hardback & it is most definately the best book out there imo.
Cheap reprints are available new & the print is more than fine. Pix are good too,but not as crisp.

bolero
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM

i didnt think he was that hard on the dogs i know he two dogged them but he also pit them in shape for the test