PDA

View Full Version : HELP FROM GREAT BREEDERS

BIGFLA73
02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I PM'ED A FEW GOOD BREEDS THIS AND WAS TOLD TO PUT IT ON THE BOARD SO OTHERS CAN LEARN SO HERE IT IS ... HELLO ,I AM TRYING TO BE A STUDENT OF THE GAME AND I AM TRYING TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR BREEDING PROGRAMS. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK FOR WHY YOU MAKE BREEDING THAT YOU DO ECT. I HAVE A FEW GOOD DOGS WHIT SOME YOUNG ONE THAT COULD BE GREAT AND I RATHER GET GREAT INFO NOW THEN SPEN 20YEARS TRYING TO DO IT ON MY OWN ,ANY HELP WOULD BE TRULY HELPFUL .

Officially Retired
02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I PM'ED A FEW GOOD BREEDS THIS AND WAS TOLD TO PUT IT ON THE BOARD SO OTHERS CAN LEARN SO HERE IT IS ... HELLO ,I AM TRYING TO BE A STUDENT OF THE GAME AND I AM TRYING TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR BREEDING PROGRAMS. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK FOR WHY YOU MAKE BREEDING THAT YOU DO ECT.

Hello and thank you for your question;

The key to success in raising winning family of dogs basically boils down to two things: 1) you need to have a good eye for a dog and have good taste when it comes to spotting winning traits; and 2) you need to develop an effective linebreeding program around your very best dogs (who exhibit these traits and come from the very best litters where a preponderance of the individuals likewise exhibit these traits).

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK FOR WHY YOU MAKE BREEDING THAT YOU DO ECT.

This little question here actually requires an entire chapter's worth of words devoted to it, which I did in my book. It is simply beyond a mere post to get into all of the things I look for, or methods of preserving these traits, but eventually, I actually will have all of this information posted here on my website. In the meantime, at the top of this sub-forum is the thread topic "Great Articles on Breeding Dogs (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86)," by some of the premier breeders of other breed types. However, trust me when I tell you, their breeding principles absolutely hold true in our breed as well. I strongly suggest you read these articles and apply their principles to your dogs.

In the meantime, the short answer is I look for the foundational winning traits I like to be present in a dog (gameness, world class stamina, world class speed & athleticism, truly superior intelligence, etc.), and I try to make sure that the dog/s I select not only really do have these traits themselves, but come from a segment of my family that is known to possess them in abundance, and (in particular) make sure that the pups/adults I carry forward with come from a litter where a preponderance of littermates "bred true" like that. Perhaps some other knowledgeable breeders will expound on this concept, but that's all I have time for, for now.

Hopefully, this thread develops with input from others who might have different perspectives ...

I HAVE A FEW GOOD DOGS WHIT SOME YOUNG ONE THAT COULD BE GREAT AND I RATHER GET GREAT INFO NOW THEN SPEN 20YEARS TRYING TO DO IT ON MY OWN ,ANY HELP WOULD BE TRULY HELPFUL .

That is a good thought to have, and it absolutely is a wise move to make sure you're headed in the right direction, before you set off on your journey 8-)

I will try to add more as others contribute more ideas, but this is a thread topic that has the potential to be bigger than Texas :mrgreen:

Jack

BIGFLA73
02-08-2012, 03:25 AM
THANKS FOR THE POSTED INFO IT WILL BE PUT TO GREAT USE.....

Officially Retired
02-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Please do take the time to read those articles.

Don't just "look at them" and surf-on, but really do read them. It is a fact that people have to read something 5x just to retain 65% of the information. Just running your eyes over deep articles like that won't allow you to internalize the principles, but repeated reading and re-readings will.

Take what you glean out of those articles, and then look at the pedigrees that truly great, time-proven breeders have built their own yards on. You will begin to see the same breeding patterns replicated everywhere ;)

At some point in your breeding career, if you develop an eye for truly superior performance traits, as well as a deep sense of the genetics in back of the dogs you're working with, if you funnel this knowledge through proper selection and time-proven breeding patterns, you will succeed automatically.

The right dogs being bred, plugged into the right breeding patterns, = the right results.

Good luck,

Jack

BIGFLA73
02-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Please do take the time to read those articles.

Don't just "look at them" and surf-on, but really do read them. It is a fact that people have to read something 5x just to retain 65% of the information. Just running your eyes over deep articles like that won't allow you to internalize the principles, but repeated reading and re-readings will.

Take what you glean out of those articles, and then look at the pedigrees that truly great, time-proven breeders have built their own yards on. You will begin to see the same breeding patterns replicated everywhere ;)

At some point in your breeding career, if you develop an eye for truly superior performance traits, as well as a deep sense of the genetics in back of the dogs you're working with, if you funnel this knowledge through proper selection and time-proven breeding patterns, you will succeed automatically.

The right dogs being bred, plugged into the right breeding patterns, = the right results.

Good luck,

Jack
I PRINTED IT OFF AND HAVE BEEN READING THEM,AND I WILL KEEP REREADING THEM AND ALSO OTHER INFO THAT I HAVE COLLECTED ABOUT BREEDING OF ANIMALS IN GENERAL.... THANKS

STONEWALL
02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Jack basically summed it all up for you. Maybe my two cents on top of what Jack wrote will help also.

Don't expect all pedigrees, or even most pedigrees to be true.
Don't try to base a breeding program around names on a piece of paper.
Don't expect dogs with the same ancesters in the background of their pedigrees but from different breeders to be the same.
All dogs have secrets and dirt in their pedigrees.

If you have good dogs male and female but from different sources or even crossed up, all is not lost. You can still build a family from them. I know becaused I did.

If they are good breed them.
Don't ad anything knew.
Raise and test all of their offspring.
Breed the good ones together and back to their parents.
If you don't get any good ones scrap the whole lot parents included and go buy some stock from a reputable seasoned breeder of quality bulldogs.
If some one is trying to sell you crossed up bulldogs keep shopping.

Officially Retired
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I have to say, I agree with everything you said Stonewall.

apeman
02-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Bump up for 2020...