PDA

View Full Version : Jenny or C mill

wobbles
02-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I've seen these on people's yards and on video's but they seem to be loosing popularity. I think that when properly used they are a good tool. Will someone who has built one or paid more attention than I on to how to sink the material in the ground, concrete it or whatever help out and explain what all is needed and how to put one up? Thanks.

TFX
08-01-2012, 09:21 PM
A Mobile home axle is a good hub set in concrete. I have also used a rear end from a truck before. If they get real wide you need upper support on the arms such as our old 36 footer. I also made a 22' jenny before out of a solid piece of I beam with no upper support. Believe it or not, I had the thing out in back of my work, and I kept 1 or 2 dogs that I was conditioning at work, and got paid for shaping bulldogs. Those were the days!:dancin:

FrostyPaws
08-02-2012, 03:12 PM
We have an old rear end from a truck. Part of the rear end is simply buried in the ground, and there are supports coming off the above-ground part to keep it level. Ours is 45' and like TFX says, has upper support due to the size. Almost half the axle is buried in the ground.

I will say this. When used properly, it is the BEST tool for working a dog, if the dog will give the proper effort. But it is also a tool that you will need to stay on top of with a lot of dogs. Dogs WILL hurt themselves on a jenny, though I don't believe in them throwing out shoulders. Unlike a mill, they can, and will, jump after whatever bait you're using, and that in turn, can have them landing in awkward spots/positions.

thefoodchain
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I've been thinking about building one for years. Just recently in my state I heard they like many other conditioning tools are being banned. Said you can really get one fit with these old school methods and training aids. Still thinking about one as a must have.

Officially Retired
08-02-2012, 05:11 PM
The dogmen I knew who had them lived deep in the woods, and cleared-out a small space for their jennys in the thickest part of the woods ... and left the rest of the woods surrounding the jenny ... and cleared the tiniest of trails to access the jenny.

That way, from the outside, all you saw was the woods ... and only if you got on the property, and walked down the windy trail to the center of the clearing, could you then see the jenny.

Jack

No Quarter Kennel
08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Danny Burton and Don Mayfield both utilized the Jenny and hand walking to shape dogs. Few, if any, could out condition others better than these two men.

thefoodchain
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Danny Burton and Don Mayfield both utilized the Jenny and hand walking to shape dogs. Few, if any, could out condition others better than these two men.
Yes sir NQK, Danny Burton & Mr. Mayfield were masters in the sweet science. FYI my first and still favorite line is Mayfields Tudor/Dibo stuff. That's the reason behind touching base with you I got a goal and dream. The blood is out there but some people have not put the dogs first so the line has suffered.

widerange
08-12-2012, 04:36 AM
I've never used one but have wondered is there a way to widen the base serval ft out or even stake the axal to the groundso there is no need for bury the axal in the ground? Just asking because I have room for one but it would be left in the open if I buried the axel so I'm looking f a way to have one that can be moved between uses.

FrostyPaws
08-12-2012, 11:04 AM
If you know someone that's a welder and/or have the inclination to build such a thing, I have no doubt that there are other ways to build a jenny without using an axle.

EWO
12-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Mine is a mobile home axle. Buried half int he ground and welded the arm to the wheel...The first one I ever saw was a cat in the NC mountains. It was a 24ft jenny with the inside inner 10ft had a table mounted on the arm. It served as a turntable and a jenny. The only issue was using the turntable one would have to be 14 or so feet away from the dog. It was a neat device. EWO

CYJ
11-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I built a 80 footer off a truck rear end axle with a little over half set in concrete. Used 3 or 4 inch heavy plumbing pipe, suspended with over head and side cables to stop side to side swaying. Was a center post going up say 15 feet to attaché the wire cables too.Since I worked for Ma Bell could get plenty of wire cable, turn buckles. Use a large metal ring welded to the upright center post. This allowed the main longest support cable to move free and allowed a give and take. Took pressure off your main bearing.

Doing one today, I would buy those smaller made antenna towers. That CB radio guys use to mount their radio antenna too. Would need minim overhead support with no side way play problems. Could use a 2/3 length running arm with a 1/3 counter weight balancing arm.

The ideal running arm length if you have the room is 40 feet. Run the dog on a extra strong, extra wide, padded dog collar with a smaller back up dog collar. I had plenty of saw dust and Bermuda hay tilled into the running track.

To keep the dog from over running the mill till it learned how to run it. I put some piles of saw dust in all four corners of the running circle. Dog would run hard, hit the saw dust pile and bog down. Two or three laps of that, dog would slow down and rate itself. Cheers

Wise
11-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Those Jenny's are a real nice pece of equipment to have, especially when you have one that'll work it well. With a that said I've also gotta say this, when things like the Jenny came about it was a different time in the world. A man had a right to his privacy and could set up his yard how he saw fit to run his program and not have to worry about invasion of his privacy. Shit, nowadays you have these satellites & drones and all these agencies & activists, google earth...... Putting targets like that on yourself is a thing to consider in today's climate, on the flip side there is an alternative that is just as effective and it can be set up and taken down but you do need a good amount of clear space to use it. I'm talking about lure coursing, look it up I personally think it's a new alternative that isn't really popular with us yet.

CYJ
11-19-2013, 11:04 AM
You are very correct Wise. Even back then I had to plant some high growing tight fitting type shrubbery to block the view of mine. Unless one stays very under ground, competes in some dog shows. Have equipment on your home site for weight dog pulling events. Or if able do some hog hunting with all the equipment needed for that.

One may have a hard time explaining their position for having a kennel of bull dogs with a Jenny, Round Table, slat mill etc. with nothing to show for having such equipment. The Dog Felony law passed in S.C. clearly states if someone accuses you and takes you to court. You really have very little recourse and are considered guilty and must prove your innocence. You were considered guilty by association of having the equipment. Dogs on chain set ups, break sticks and dogs with scars was considered probable cause by the H.S. Who used the long arm of the law to persecute a dog man.

The Deer, Fox, Coon, Duck, Bird, Rabbit hunters, Rodeo, and even many Game Cock people thought it was all funny. I reminded them that after we sink. Their little boats will be the next ones to be shot at. Was not long after the felony law was passed that the S.C. Lt. Governor set up a swat team to search, and apprehend any game dog or game chicken persons. Was a down hill ride from then on. Cheers