PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your pup/young dog into contact with other dogs

R2L
02-10-2012, 03:47 AM
First of all i must give big compliments to Jack for his chapter on "schooling your dog" in the indispensable tips that i read. Best and safest way of schooling i have ever heard. I guess the idiots described in it are crawling all over cause it's all i see. Think this is a great example for "anyone who's stupid enough to start of" lol

Now Jack and some others already told a bit about some great ones who get along fine with other dogs in the house or yard. They seem to be intelligent dogs who know when to be on or off.

Also in the bible and indispensable tips is described, the importance of socialization and building a young dogs confidence in his schooling process.

Now taking this in mind, what do you all think about contact with other dogs/breeds while walking your pup/young dog outside, which in some area's is unavoidable. First of all do you think it slows em down allot to meet allot of friendly dogs, second do you think it will harm them when other dog's trying to dominate, growl, bark at your pups, regarding their confidence? I know some who will never even let their dogs sniff another dog, and just about the same amount who say they think it's good for your pup or young dog to interact with other dogs, as part of their socialization.

Your opinions?

Gr

YigYang
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
BUMP

YigYang
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
BUMP

YigYang
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Should have little affect your pup, i will not say that i wont because then i will be lieing.
With that said i let my pups around my older dogs until around 4 months or so, because alot of times i have to seperate them earlier.
Some older dogs will or will not try to kill the pup, depending on the dog because ( i have some males, that will never harm a pup, but i have a few that will attempt to harm them on sight). For as the pup some most pups begin there first stage of maturity around 4-6 months, which is one reason i seperate them at that age. So with that said
i would just interpret my message however you feel

Patch
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I feel each dog should be judged as an individual despite his/her lineage. In my limited experience, most of my dogs have gotten along just fine(in my presence), with the exception of one who would challenge anything else on four legs. The two I have now play rough with one another but absolutely will not tolerate an outsider.

Officially Retired
02-11-2012, 05:20 AM
First of all i must give big compliments to Jack for his chapter on "schooling your dog" in the indispensable tips that i read. Best and safest way of schooling i have ever heard. I guess the idiots described in it are crawling all over cause it's all i see. Think this is a great example for "anyone who's stupid enough to start of" lol

I am sorry I missed this, but thank you for the topic. My writing that Schooling article was to make sure that "human error" doesn't affect the outcome of a dog. It would literally be staggering to attempt to count all of the good dogs that have been ruined and killed, who could have been fine animals, due to improper/ignorant schooling practice.

Now Jack and some others already told a bit about some great ones who get along fine with other dogs in the house or yard. They seem to be intelligent dogs who know when to be on or off.
Also in the bible and indispensable tips is described, the importance of socialization and building a young dogs confidence in his schooling process.

I think the more a dog understands "where he's at," the more confident and assured of himself he is in general, as well as the easier he is to handle and deal with on your end as well.

Now taking this in mind, what do you all think about contact with other dogs/breeds while walking your pup/young dog outside, which in some area's is unavoidable. First of all do you think it slows em down allot to meet allot of friendly dogs, second do you think it will harm them when other dog's trying to dominate, growl, bark at your pups, regarding their confidence? I know some who will never even let their dogs sniff another dog, and just about the same amount who say they think it's good for your pup or young dog to interact with other dogs, as part of their socialization.
Your opinions?
Gr

When I used to walk in residential areas, I used to carry a pretty thick stick with me to whack other dogs if I was walking a pup. I honestly think that all of the "threat displays," behaviors, etc. are part of a dog's learning process so that he can judge and assess other dogs' intentions correctly, same as we judge other people's intentions by their bearing, their expression, the way they carry themselves, etc.

To help underscore this point, as well as to give a full credence to your thread topic here, I will give you the story of Poncho's other littermate sister Ruby (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=1035). Ruby was owned by Mr. Nice Guy (Tony D.) of Southern California. He used to take her on daily walks since when she was a puppy. All the neighborhood children used to come out to pet "The Rubester," and she was so tame and smart she could be walked off-leash and never went after any dog, even when she started coming "of age." In fact, when other aggressive dogs would come at her, Ruby would "hide" behind Tony's legs, or "submit" by lowering herself to the ground. She was totally sweet and unaggressive. In fact, Tony would call me as she matured and tell me how "disappointed" he was in Ruby ... as about the only thing she would show aggression to were the local bunny-rabbits in the hills :lol:

Tony would tell me how his Eli/Nigerino bitches were "so much better animals" than Ruby, and he was basing all of these opinions on how Ruby "acted" as a young pup, and even as a young, unstarted, untouched animal ... rather than what Ruby could actually do as a performance animal.

Well, when it finally came time for Ruby to be put into her first roll, Tony selected one of his fine, "hot," super-aggressive "proven" Nigerino bitches to lambaste Ruby ... and, when Ruby was faced with this bitch in the box, she could just tell that this bitch was bad news ... and it was RUBY who flew out of the corner and nailed the other bitch (despite having no pit experience whatsoever). Ruby was smart enough to be able to read the other bitch's intentions from across the pit, and where she would hunker-down and "submit" to other dogs in harmless "bluff" street encounters, when she saw the totally-intense, deadly-serious expression of another pit dog staring at her from the corner, Ruby met fire with MORE fire ... and stopped this "proven" bitch in a mere :20 on her first roll, immediately starting-up and taking hold on her first release, without even having to be bit first, and she got on the face and peeled the other bitch's nose/face back to her eyes.

Ruby was everything an idiot-dogman would hate: a sweet, sweet dog who avoided trouble in the neighborhood, who could be turned loose around other dogs, who was NOT "hot" in any way, who never "acted crazy" on the chain, nor gave any indication whatsoever that she was "on fire" :lol:

But when you put that bitch in the pit, with something her weight, Ruby could be 100% counted on to shipwreck its ass, and stop it cold for you, which she did with every bitch she was ever put in there with. To me that is the difference between an all-around, well-socialized bulldog and common chain-brain bull$#!^. A truly all-around, well-socialized bulldog is of "The Little Rascals" variety ... it will never harm anyone, it knows what to do, what not to do, and when to do it ... and is an all-around pleasure to own ... as opposed to being a reckless, dangerous liability to own.

Jack

PS: I should also add that, ironically, when bred to the heavy Eli/Nigerino stud Cates' Rambo (brother to Cujo), Ruby produced a fine litter of pups, one of which went back to the owner of Rambo for the stud service. Well the owner of Rambo, Joe Tomayo, sent that pup over to Japan ... and that lil' pup grew up to become the winningest dog in Japan's history Okabe's Gr Ch Jigilu (9x) (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=141668). Another pup went to northeast USA to become GB's Lexus (2xW, 1xL) (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=40327), who lost her Championship bid in 2:40. Ruby was then bred to Ch Commanche and produced OTC Kennels' Ch Tank (4xW) (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=27657) as well as Backstreet Truez' Rocio ROM (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=118730). That is a Grand Champion and a 2xW from one breeding, and a 4xW Champion and an ROM from another breeding. Not bad for a friendly lil' doggie that could be walked off-leash around the neighborhood :mrgreen:

R2L
02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks for everyone's input and jack, that was a nice read!
That's the stuff you want to hear and encourages big time to be patient with your dogs

when other aggressive dogs would come at her, Ruby would "hide" behind Tony's legs, or "submit" by lowering herself to the ground.

So you're saying all of her negative experiences with aggressive and dominant dogs didn't seem to touch her self confidence in the ring because she was smart and well socialized enough to knew the difference between those situations

Ruby was smart enough to be able to read the other bitch's intentions from across the pit, and where she would hunker-down and "submit" to other dogs in harmless "bluff" street encounters, when she saw the totally-intense, deadly-serious expression of another pit dog staring at her from the corner, Ruby met fire with MORE fire

Would she also finish a cur / make a deep game scratch when the other dog was wasted or stopped? I mean did her mentality change allot when she got more experienced?

Cheers

Da District
02-12-2012, 05:31 AM
I've had some that wouldnt bother a flea on his ass unless u put that flea across him! And I've had a few that would beat the breaks off of themselves if they could...lmao!..But it boils down knowing what your hounds will or will not tolerate

southend
02-12-2012, 05:47 AM
good read

Officially Retired
02-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks for everyone's input and jack, that was a nice read!
That's the stuff you want to hear and encourages big time to be patient with your dogs

Well, that's the thing, how a dog "acts" really doesn't mean a thing. In fact, that's the whole point.

It's like a big mouth wise-ass human being. Just because some guy runs his mouth a lot, and puffs-up and pushes other people around all the time, doesn't mean he is actually a talented fighter ... nor does it mean he truly has exceptional courage when tested in the trenches by someone who is bigger and badder than he is. It just means the guy has a big mouth and is always looking to start shit. And, actually, this personality type is often the sign of a coward at heart.

By contrast, oftentimes it's the calm, quiet guy sitting in the corner (who doesn't say much) ... and who doesn't really respond to being provoked lightly ... who will ultimately prove to be the most dangerous of all ... because, if you push him too far, he will get up and beat the absolute dogshit out of you, and will not stop once he's been triggered to go. Hence the expression, "Still water runs deep" ...

So you're saying all of her negative experiences with aggressive and dominant dogs didn't seem to touch her self confidence in the ring because she was smart and well socialized enough to knew the difference between those situations

Ruby never had any negative experiences. She just hunkered down to bully-threat displays, to avoid trouble, and then happily went about her walks.

However, when she saw a real threat, she met it head-on and demolished it.

Would she also finish a cur / make a deep game scratch when the other dog was wasted or stopped? I mean did her mentality change allot when she got more experienced?
Cheers

Well, I don't agree with letting dogs "finish" other dogs (though I do like to see them try to). But no, Ruby wasn't a finisher she was a destroyer, a face dog that would stop whatever she put her horrible mouth on. Poncho had an average mouth, but was very longwinded and very savvy, where his two sisters Missy and Ruby had devastating mouths.

Ruby would scratch as hard as bitches can scratch, and again stopped every bitch she was put in there with, but never went to true finish spots. Still, there wasn't much left of her opponents, when she was done with them, and her "gained experience" had absolutely no bearing on how she acted when back outside in the neighborhood. She always remained the sweet, gentle dog that could be walked off-lead ... and who would chase bunny-rabbits in the hills :lol:

Jack

R2L
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM
By contrast, oftentimes it's the calm, quiet guy sitting in the corner (who doesn't say much) ... and who doesn't really respond to being provoked lightly ... who will ultimately prove to be the most dangerous of all ... because, if you push him too far, he will get up and beat the absolute dogshit out of you, and will not stop once he's been triggered to go. Hence the expression, "Still water runs deep" ...

hitting the nail on the head :lol:

finishing of a cur was just hypothetical, because she knew the other dog intentions and a cur's intension is to jump the wall :lol:

Thanks, good reads!