PDA

View Full Version : Inbreeding

red dog
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Can someone explain to me what is inbreeding and what is not . like father / daughter or brother / sister or son / mother . Are these considered inbreeding . I was told that the father daughter was not. It confused me good .

Officially Retired
02-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Inbreedings

Brother/Sister
Father/Daughter
Mother/Son
Half-Brother/Half-Sister
Cousin/Cousin
Uncle/Niece
Aunt/Nephew

red dog
02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Thank you much thats what I thought . but I thought the uncle niece and cusn breeding I thought of as line . help out jack . thanks

Officially Retired
02-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Thank you much thats what I thought . but I thought the uncle niece and cusn breeding I thought of as line . help out jack . thanks

I already did help and answer your question; you're just second-guessing me :)

Jack

Officially Retired
02-13-2012, 04:16 AM
An example of linebreeding would be breeding two "Eli" dogs ... in other words two dogs "with Eli backgrounds" together ... but with no actual common dogs/littermates as immediate parents/grandparents.

Inbreeding is what I just finished describing to you :)

Jack

red dog
02-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank you jack that's all I was asking . I was taught that grand parents to grand kids was line breeding that's all . If I had a question I thought might be perceived as second guessing or disrespectful , I would have ask you in private message . I'm not looking for trouble just a little clairity .

Officially Retired
02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Thank you jack that's all I was asking .

You're welcome, but I had already provided my answer :)

I was taught that grand parents to grand kids was line breeding that's all.

Now you're asking a new question: whether grandparent-to-grandkid was linebreeding, where before you had said cousin-to-cousin.

Grandparent-to-grandkid is a form of linebreeding, sure, though I don't think it is a true inbreeding as it is not as intensive as father/daughter or mother/son.

If I had a question I thought might be perceived as second guessing or disrespectful , I would have ask you in private message . I'm not looking for trouble just a little clairity .

I am sorry if I implied that you were looking for trouble, as I sure didn't think you were! Nor do I think you were being disrespectful (and I didn't mean to be either!).

You just asked a question, and I gave you my answer, and then you essentially re-asked the question again :)

If you think cousin-to-cousin isn't inbreeding, and I do, then we simply disagree. Tell you what: go to your local Justice of the Peace and try to marry your cousin, and they will call it "inbreeding." In some places it's legal, in most places it is not, but in all places it is considered "inbreeding" ... as at least 50% of your genetic make-up is the same :)

Now you're asking a new question, about grandparent-to-grandchild, which is perfectly fine. Here I am not quite so sure, actually, and I would agree with you that this is more "linebreeding" than inbreeding. Inbreeding has to do with direct offspring, siblings, or cousins IMO. The further you get away from that directness, the further away from inbreeding you are. Your grandmother didn't whelp you, and none of her direct siblings did either. You and she are only 1/4 the same blood, 3/4 different blood.

Inbreedings, to my way of thinking, have at least 50% the same blood or (in the cases of brother/sister) more than that.

Jack

STONEWALL
02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Inbreeding is the breeding of related individuals. The closer the relationship between two individuals the closer/tighter the inbreeding.

Linebreeding is a term often used to describe the milder, less intense forms of inbreeding. Linebreeding is also used though seldomly to describe breeding to an individual animal in a straight line like a dog bred to his own daughters for several generations, or a bitch to her sons for several generations.

What ever terminology you use, inbreeding is the breeding of related individuals.

Officially Retired
02-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Inbreeding is the breeding of related individuals. The closer the relationship between two individuals the closer/tighter the inbreeding.
Linebreeding is a term often used to describe the milder, less intense forms of inbreeding. Linebreeding is also used though seldomly to describe breeding to an individual animal in a straight line like a dog bred to his own daughters for several generations, or a bitch to her sons for several generations.
What ever terminology you use, inbreeding is the breeding of related individuals.

Mmmm, I agree with what you said, but disagree with that one highlighted part. Several generations of father/daughter (or mother/son) would form the most intensive inbreeding you could get IMO.

Jack

STONEWALL
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I agree with you completely Jack. Breeding a sire or dam to several generations of their offspring is very intensely inbred.

I was useing another definition for the term linebred. One not commonly used, to illustrate breeding to a single individual in a straight line for several generations.

DabridgePit
11-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Jack how do you feel about father x daughter when it comes to a blood like the wildside dogs? they consist of many diff dogs an 2 0r 3 diff lines ! like this pup here http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/bulldog_profile.php?dog_id=26410. i also hope to take his sis back to the moms brother which would be her uncle!!

Officially Retired
11-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Jack how do you feel about father x daughter when it comes to a blood like the wildside dogs? they consist of many diff dogs an 2 0r 3 diff lines ! like this pup here http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/bulldog_profile.php?dog_id=26410. i also hope to take his sis back to the moms brother which would be her uncle!!

Hi;

There really is no way to answer the question intelligently without knowing/seeing the individual dogs. You're talking about more than just a father/daughter breeding, you're also talking about uncle/niece breeding, and tying it all in, so essentially you're talking about building a bloodline.

As for Wildside dogs, he like any other breeder has produced hundreds of dogs ... some lousy, some so-so, some pretty good, some damned good, and some really badass. Same with their conformation, temperament, etc. ... and since I don't know the answers on the particular animals you're speaking of, so the best I can tell you is what do you think about your own dogs?

Is the father truly a world class dog? Is his daughter? How about the sis/uncle?

What are his best strengths? (if any)
What are his worst weaknesses? (if any)

Based on all the dogs you've seen in your life, when you think about your main stud dog, is "he" what you want to more of (to the exclusion of all else) ... or is he just another so-so dog and do you wish you had better? These are the kinds of question you should answer for yourself before contemplating the commencement of building a bloodline.

When I based my yard on Poncho, I felt he was the smartest, best dog I had ever seen up to that point and (even though he lost), I knew his loss was my fault, and he showed so game to me that if he would have gone any longer I would have lost him. I never thought about another stud dog again ... and never looked back ... and I would do it all over again if I had him back on my yard ... and Poncho's production record confirms my opinion of him.

I never would have dedicated everything to a so-so dog. At his best, no dog would scratch back into Poncho, he was never bit more than 2-3x before he would pitch a shutout, and he never committed a turn at any point in his life, even when he was underweight and almost lost his life to Ch Leonard. I was absolutely confident enough in the dog himself, I was equally-confident in how good his littermates were ... and I was further absolutely confident in how game his father and mother were (and their littermates). In short, I was 100% confident I was dealing with a truly foundational animal in Poncho. And the rest, as they say, is history :)

If, in your heart, you really have that kind of passion and confidence in your male, then embark on an linebreeding program and dedicate yourself to its creation and preservation. But if, in your heart, you only have a so-so dog (down from so-so percentages), then I wouldn't waste my time, effort, or resources ... because it's a lot of work trying to develop a line and it takes YEARS to see the payoff. However, if you do make that kind of commitment, and if everything pans out the way you've envisioned it, then there are few things in these dogs more satisfying.

Best of luck,

Jack

apeman
02-11-2020, 08:36 AM
Bump up for 2020...