PDA

View Full Version : Starting young

LEFTLANE
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU2HJWY[/url]

I've alway had problems getting dogs to work a spring pole or flirt pole. Some dogs would just do it and some wouldn't. So ive been bring this one and is sis inside everyother day for an hour or so and working/playing with them so I shouldn't have this problem with them.

Killerant

Earl Tudor
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU2HJWY ... ata_player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU2HJWY77M&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

I've alway had problems getting dogs to work a spring pole or flirt pole. Some dogs would just do it and some wouldn't. So ive been bring this one and is sis inside everyother day for an hour or so and working/playing with them so I shouldn't have this problem with them.

Killerant
I've noticed you can usually get them all to accomplish these by doing these exercises on the yard somewhere, where the rest can see. It becomes a "monkey see, monkey do" mentality.

Crofab
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Your best bet is to start them at a young age as the topic heading states. It is always easier to teach a pup to love something and keep it loving that particular something through it's growing time than it is to hope the grown, mature dog will love something it's never laid eyes on.

Nash
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySE_rBScyw

It's good to introduce them to things young, in a playfull manner. The flirtpole i was a bit sceptic about, but that's because i go full out with the grown ups. I'm busy making a small one for a pup of a friend, should be good for a pup about 4 months old.

southend
02-15-2012, 06:22 AM
[youtube:94lkgcn5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySE_rBScyw[/youtube:94lkgcn5]

It's good to introduce them to things young, in a playfull manner. The flirtpole i was a bit sceptic about, but that's because i go full out with the grown ups. I'm busy making a small one for a pup of a friend, should be good for a pup about 4 months old.
THERE NICE FLASHY LOOKING PUPS NASH HOW ARE THE BREED ?

Nash
02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Staffordshire Bull Terrier of old irish stock. Thnx for the compliments. You should see them now. ;)

Crofab
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Nash, I use the same flirtpole for pups as I do for my adults. You can go full out with pups with a flirt pole. They're not going to hurt themselves short of suffering an injury from one steamrolling the other. :)

My pups tear after the flirt just as adults do, and they're no worse for wear.

BulldogConnection
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree with crofab. Start them young with the flirt pups are always wanting to chew and chase things. Get them use to the tool and when they get tired they'll just stop and go take a nap. No risk hurting them by keeping it low.

This can later be transitioned to a springpole once they get a hang of the flirt but honestly I don't care too much if a dog/pup doesn't really care for the springpole as I dont use it much.

STORMY
02-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I've noticed you can usually get them all to accomplish these by doing these exercises on the yard somewhere, where the rest can see. It becomes a "monkey see, monkey do" mentality.

true that's the way i do when one won't engage in work this works for me.....

Officially Retired
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM

Works that way with getting "cold" dogs to start sometimes too ;)

skipper
02-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Staffordshire Bull Terrier of old irish stock. Thnx for the compliments. You should see them now. ;)

Do you mind showing a pedigree of those staffords? PM if you like.

bad dog
03-06-2012, 05:28 AM
imo if your not working with your pups and dogs all the way through there life your not really doing your job as their trainer/owner. jmo

OGDOGG
05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fEQrR.jpg

Officially Retired
05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
The Shao-Lin Temple :)

OGDOGG
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Gotta love them kong balls. When the public see them carrying them around they just say "aw..he's carrying his toy":lol:

R2L
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
:rotflmao:

Nash
05-10-2012, 12:18 AM
:rotflmao: 36 chambers !

skipper
05-10-2012, 03:19 AM
That pup has got the look for sure. Not to step on anyones toes here. I think a pup is a pup. I keep em fat and only let them play and have fun until around 10 months. Imo that puppy is way to skinny for a 4 month old. But I'm sure you know what you do. And again not trying to step on your toes. We all have different views. I live in a colder country and if the general population saw a pup like that at my place I would have the animal cops here the next day. I also know that some pups are impossible to gain fat, if that's the case I apologies. Good luck with him tough.

OGDOGG
05-10-2012, 04:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/waqWl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/gy6dv.jpg
That was a couple months ago. This is her earlier on the cable run. She's nice and fat.
I like them early starters. At 4 weeks this lil girl was walking around with her tail up. So I decided to keep her. At 6 weeks she was going after the mop. And at 8 weeks she was flirting with the kong ball. At 3 months she carried the ball and ran the slat. At 6 months she started up. Her daddy SuperStar did everything she did at a younger age. That's what I'm breeding for. But of course i know early starters could easily be ruin unless I know how to manage them.

Nash
05-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Looking good OGDOGG. Grew a good bit also in those couple of months. Nice and solid front legs and head on the bitch.

skipper
05-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Ok I'm sorry if i offended you. That wasn't the point. Might just been the picture. Shes a fine looking pup. I like those crazy pups too. In a perfect world I would like mine to be pups until 18 months of age. Then they could be all serious. LOL Again good luck with her although luck has nothing to do with it:)

lbd
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Good lookin pup OGDOGG, looks nice and solid

Officially Retired
05-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Boy she sure looks like Screaming Icon/Screaming Banshee :shocked:

OGDOGG
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aj7Pg.jpg
Thanks for the compliments fellas. Yes Jack, she does look like Screaming Icon, she even stalk and gets low in the grass like him. Her and one of her other sister are super pups. They have unbelieveable strength, speed and athleticism.BB URL IMG CODE: http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/pictures/289796.jpg (http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Pedigrees&file=printPedigree&dog_id=289796)

Officially Retired
05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
The genetic uniformity of those dogs (and most Screamer-based dogs) is amazing.

OGDOGG
05-19-2012, 05:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hrohl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/hR17C.jpg
Here's Baby Blonka running with his toy, and tugging on the hide. He get so crazy on the hide he'll try to bite every object around him if he can't get to it.

skipper
05-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Lookers both of them!

OGDOGG
05-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Ok I'm sorry if i offended you. That wasn't the point. Might just been the picture. Shes a fine looking pup. I like those crazy pups too. In a perfect world I would like mine to be pups until 18 months of age. Then they could be all serious. LOL Again good luck with her although luck has nothing to do with it:)
You didn't, just call it like how you see it. Im open to all suggestions anyone give me. Im never too old to learn from others.
Lookers both of them! Thanks

skipper
05-20-2012, 03:21 AM
You're a wise man.

OGDOGG
05-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Skipper you mentioned that you would rather have your pups grow up to about 18 months old then they could be serious all they want. So what happens if they don't turn out? Wouldn't that be a waste of time and money raising them just to find out they wouldnt start up? I know some will start later in their life and when they do they become some of the best. But let's say at 18 months of age, they won't start, how many more months are you willing to give them? Ive had dogs who knew exactly what to do @ 16-18 months of age who grew up doing nothing but being puppies. So yeah it'll turn out that way sometimes. But I also had pups who also didn't want to start early and later around 16-18 months never started period. So it goes both ways. That is the reason why I decided to go with my current plan, keeping hot pups(early starters) with high prey drive and continue breeding for that trait. So far I like how these are turning out.

skipper
05-20-2012, 04:56 AM
That all depends on what kind of space I got atm. But I will wait until they are 3yo. I don't necessarily keep the dog here at all times. If not started up by that age I usually sell them as pets or give them away to friends. I don't see any dogs as waste of time or money. I can put every dog to a different use, even if I have no use for it. A cold dog could work perfect using as a "playmate" when conditioning other dogs. He could be a perfect pet for a friend of mine or a family member. Might do well as a guard dog or a weight pulling dog. The only dog that I put down are a dog that either bites or quits. Otherwise I find a use for every dog.

OGDOGG
05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
That all depends on what kind of space I got atm. But I will wait until they are 3yo. I don't necessarily keep the dog here at all times. If not started up by that age I usually sell them as pets or give them away to friends. I don't see any dogs as waste of time or money. I can put every dog to a different use, even if I have no use for it. A cold dog could work perfect using as a "playmate" when conditioning other dogs. He could be a perfect pet for a friend of mine or a family member. Might do well as a guard dog or a weight pulling dog. The only dog that I put down are a dog that either bites or quits. Otherwise I find a use for every dog.
You have a lot of patience for these dogs Skipper. So at 3 years of age they begin their career and then 1 contract per year after that. Wouldn't they be too old to be shown after 5 years of age? I just think if they start later than 2 years old it's gonna be hard for them to become a title dog, wouldn't you think?

FrostyPaws
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
One question. Why would a dog that begins their career at 3 years old only be able to perform one contract per year?

prairiedog
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. What's limiting the dog to one per year?

skipper
05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
You have a lot of patience for these dogs Skipper. So at 3 years of age they begin their career and then 1 contract per year after that. Wouldn't they be too old to be shown after 5 years of age? I just think if they start later than 2 years old it's gonna be hard for them to become a title dog, wouldn't you think?

Yes I have. Not every dog I have starts at 3. I start looking at 18 months. Wont touch them before that. Most of mine are started by 18 months. But if I have to wait, I will. Some of the best dogs I've seen were late starters and well worth the wait. To be honest with you I rather have a dog I waited for, a 1 or 2xer than buried in the ground with no wins or offsprings. If lucky there are more then 1 contract per year and hound. But if not, I really don't care. I want quality before titles. I've seen many dogs with titles pack it in early against non titled dogs. And when I say titles I mean CH at least.

skipper
05-21-2012, 03:12 AM
One question. Why would a dog that begins their career at 3 years old only be able to perform one contract per year?

Both Chinaman and Honeybunch were late starters, and starter their carreers late. Thank good their were waited for.

OGDOGG
05-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Yes I have. Not every dog I have starts at 3. I start looking at 18 months. Wont touch them before that. Most of mine are started by 18 months. But if I have to wait, I will. Some of the best dogs I've seen were late starters and well worth the wait. To be honest with you I rather have a dog I waited for, a 1 or 2xer than buried in the ground with no wins or offsprings. If lucky there are more then 1 contract per year and hound. But if not, I really don't care. I want quality before titles. I've seen many dogs with titles pack it in early against non titled dogs. And when I say titles I mean CH at least.
I like the way you plan out your dogs career Skipper. You are right about Qualities before title. And there are a lot of dogmen who are not as patience as you and will ruin their dogs including myself. I'm glad I had this conversation with you about starting young. It made me think of all the good dogs i had who couldve been better, if i had waited until they were fully matured. I guess good things do come to those who waited. Thanks for your words of wisdom Skipper.

skipper
05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I like the way you plan out your dogs career Skipper. You are right about Qualities before title. And there are a lot of dogmen who are not as patience as you and will ruin their dogs including myself. I'm glad I had this conversation with you about starting young. It made me think of all the good dogs i had who couldve been better, if i had waited until they were fully matured. I guess good things do come to those who waited. Thanks for your words of wisdom Skipper.

Thank you for the kind words. I have learned from my mistakes. Some dogs starts at 6 months of age. By 12 months they are almost unbearable, waiting is damn hard if that's the case. But in my experience worth it close to every time.

FrostyPaws
05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Both Chinaman and Honeybunch were late starters, and starter their carreers late. Thank good their were waited for.

Honeybunch wasn't what I'd call a late starter. She didn't start the first time when tried, and she looked bad enough that some folks thought she should've been culled. She won her first show before she was 3 years of age, so I wouldn't call that a late starter personally.

But again, what does a dog that begins a career at the age of three have to do with limiting that dog to one contract per year? I don't see the correlation between the two. The amount of contracts a dog has per year is based upon the amount of damage an animal would take within a contract, the amount of time it takes to recover, and the skills and judgement the owner has in knowing when the animal is ready for another.

skipper
05-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Honeybunch wasn't what I'd call a late starter. She didn't start the first time when tried, and she looked bad enough that some folks thought she should've been culled. She won her first show before she was 3 years of age, so I wouldn't call that a late starter personally.
OK my bad. I thought she started at 3 years old.

OGDOGG
05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. What's limiting the dog to one per year?
Not all dogs will perform the same. Some are Aces and others are average. Don't ever expect your dog to go in and perform like an Ace. There's a saying "every dog has his day" and that's exactly what I expect every time I campaign my dogs. I always expect the worst case senerio for them. If that's the case they will need the extra rest to heal their body 6-8 month then campaign again and by then it'll be at the end of the year already. That's just me. If you do it differently then more power to ya. I learn this through trial and error so it's not something I just made up.