PDA

View Full Version : Completing the RAW Transformation

No Quarter Kennel
02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I have a few dogs I will be breeding soon. So, this prompted me to begin my switch to RAW feeding. Here's what I'm doing now. Please add to this. Keep in mind I have purchased the DVDs from Jack and I expect them to arrive this week. However, I would love to get a head start now so any advice pointing me into a more productive direction is helpful.

I have been feeding EITHER, Deer Meet or Chicken Quarters as the main staple. I add one soft boiled egg, 1 tbs Yogurt and half a chicken liver.
So for this is all I'm doing. What would you add to this. Keep in mind, I am a rookie with this subject and will wean myself into a good understanding through time.

My local meet market gives me what I want in terms of newly expired meets of all varieties and plenty of fat trimmings.

Set me straight fellow doggers.

Officially Retired
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a few dogs I will be breeding soon. So, this prompted me to begin my switch to RAW feeding. Here's what I'm doing now. Please add to this. Keep in mind I have purchased the DVDs from Jack and I expect them to arrive this week. However, I would love to get a head start now so any advice pointing me into a more productive direction is helpful.

Hey what's up? Good discussion topic!

I have been feeding EITHER, Deer Meet or Chicken Quarters as the main staple. I add one soft boiled egg, 1 tbs Yogurt and half a chicken liver.
So for this is all I'm doing. What would you add to this. Keep in mind, I am a rookie with this subject and will wean myself into a good understanding through time.
My local meet market gives me what I want in terms of newly expired meets of all varieties and plenty of fat trimmings.
Set me straight fellow doggers.

Okay, for one thing, keep in mind as you wait for your DVDs ( :lol: ) that most of this material is covered in the nutrition section of the book :mrgreen:

However, with that said, I don't really cover deer meat, per se in the book, so this is a good place to discuss it. Deer meat in general is a very lean meat, so your dogs will not be able to put on a lot of weight when compared to eating chicken. As a matter of fact, chicken meat actually has about 4x the amount of fat as does deer meat. Moreover, chicken also has bone in it, which is vital to your dogs' health. An ideal calcium:phosphorus ratio of 2:1 should be maintained, but without the calcium of bone, this ratio becomes very bad. Dogs can actually get sick from eating lean meat with no bone, so be careful in that regard.

Yogurt is great (plain), but I personally add 2 tBsp now, and half a chicken liver is okay ... but liver should not be fed every day. It contains massive amounts of Vitamin A, which could lead to toxicity if fed daily. You should also feed the egg shell for added calcium, and that is also why I recommend diced leafy-green vegetables ... they add a lot of calcium (as well as other goodies) to the meal to balance-out other vitamins and trace minerals your dogs just can't get from meat alone. To help you get a general feel for the nutrition value of foods, I recommend that you go to http://www.nutritiondata.com. You can plug-in literally any food item and you will get a printout like this (which is for chicken):

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/chart.png

Be sure you pay attention as to HOW MUCH of the food item you're measuring (a gram, an ounce, a pound, etc.). This chart is for 1 oz of chicken, so if you're feeding 8 oz to your dog, you would multiply everything by 8. Also, keep in mind that this chart does NOT factor-in the chicken bone, because we humans don't eat that.

Anyway, hope this helps for now ... and hope you like your DVDs 8)

Jack

No Quarter Kennel
02-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Oh man....I'm fired up.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some free advice on this topic.

How do you suggest the liver? Every other day? Every 3rd day? Smaller amounts every day?
Diced leafy greens? What greens do you prefer or is the 'biggest bang for buck' kind of deal and how much to I feed them and how often?

Again, I appreciate everything on this subject. I've only fed what I'm doing now for about 8 or 10 days and I can already see and feel the difference in the dogs. It's awesome

Another big question. I got more freakin wild hogs running around that the Bible got psalms. Is this safe? Raw? Cooked? Frozen? What are your thoughts on pork and more specifically, wild pork? It would be great to cash into this endless supply of meat as I have access to literally, THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of acres that's got hogs all over them.

Also - if a ton of this stuff is covered in the DVDs and you can't/won't share certain things, I understand.....hence, the order.

THANKS

No Quarter Kennel

Officially Retired
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I will respond more completely tomorrow, but the short answer is I would not feed hogs raw ... because they can carry a worm called trichinosis, which not only isn't killed by conventional worming doses, but can be fatal, and is transmissible to man.

More on the rest later ... pretty busy today :)

Bigg Mike
02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I have been feeding the raw maintenance diet for over a month adding a little extra than the chart amount, however my dogs are losing weight, and soft stool. Dogs have been wormed, what could be the reaseon for this.

No Quarter Kennel
02-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Don't have enough info to help you.
I have been doing this for 1 week only and am so excited about the stool size and density, I literally picked up a pile of shit with my bare hands, brought it into my wife to show her. It was less than a half cup of "poo" and hard as a freakin rock. This was from my Tupark dog. A very solid 50lb dog on the chain.

In only two weeks, ALL my dogs are looking great. I AM AN IDIOT FOR NOT DOING THIS SOONER!

Unbelievable!

Officially Retired
02-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I have been feeding the raw maintenance diet for over a month adding a little extra than the chart amount, however my dogs are losing weight, and soft stool. Dogs have been wormed, what could be the reaseon for this.

What chart are you talking about exactly? Also, how big are your dogs? You haven't really given any information.

Typically, dogs get extremely hard stool fed a proper raw diet, so I am curious as to what you're feeding.

BulldogConnection
02-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Don't have enough info to help you.
I have been doing this for 1 week only and am so excited about the stool size and density, I literally picked up a pile of shit with my bare hands, brought it into my wife to show her. It was less than a half cup of "poo" and hard as a freakin rock. This was from my Tupark dog. A very solid 50lb dog on the chain.

In only two weeks, ALL my dogs are looking great. I AM AN IDIOT FOR NOT DOING THIS SOONER!

Unbelievable!

You don't want the stool this hard, very extreme. Look to add more fiber or less bone.

No Quarter Kennel
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
BC - I appreciate your concern and advice, but I guess I have to admit, I exaggerated a bit. My dog's stool resembles Silverbacks on the video provided here. I guess, I was comparitively speaking. Thanks for the heads up though as if they were to get harder, I would know now.

I am amazed at the size of the stool and the consistency of it. I'm so damn amazed I wouldn't care if this cost double to feed, I'm all in.

Nash
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Good to read your so content with feeding raw.