PDA

View Full Version : barrels

02-18-2012, 10:12 PM
gonna start using the 55gal plastic barrels for dog houses.i have noticed most people use em laying down.anybody use em rite side up.heard gary hammonds uses em this way as did al white.what are the pros n cons?i live in far west texas it gets up to 115 degrees in the summer,can drop to the teens in the winter,n the winds get up 65mph during the windy season.all info will b greatly appreciated.thanx

No Quarter Kennel
02-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Hushman, I too live in west Texas. I'm in the southeast portion of the panhandle.

Gary did use the barrels upright, but not much. I would say at least 80 of the barrels were on their side. Another interesting consideration about white barrels is a little experiment Gary did years ago. He had black, blue and white barrels. He gave several dogs the option of each. Without fail, summer months for sure, the dogs picked the black and blue. The white barrels were actually hotter. Not sure why except maybe they let more UV rays through than the denser colored black and blue.

I used them upright myself for a while and did not like it. I don't think you can beat a black or blue barrel, laid on it's side. I see some of these concrete houses and some fantastic wooden houses and believe them to be even more superior, but for general use and Texas weather, I don't see the neccessity for more than a good food grade plastic barrel.

I have as source in central Texas, by Hillsboro who actually has hundreds of brand new blue barrels and she's my source for many of mine through the years. Her husband worked for Dr. Pepper and these barrels had Dr. Pepper concentrate in them at one time. For at least a week, my dogs would smell like a Dr. Pepper when given a new barrel.

I use a 2x6 on the front as well as another piece of barrel bolted on top to keep the rain out of their hole and knock down on some wind.

Hope this helps.

02-19-2012, 09:49 AM
thanx fr the help bro really appreciate it.got me a blue barrel n mostly likely ima put it layn on its side instead of rite side up.im way out in west tx by the border.

No Quarter Kennel
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
closest town?
line of dogs?

02-19-2012, 02:55 PM
sent u a pm bro