PDA

View Full Version : ((( THE IMPORTANCE OF PHOTOGRAPHY )))

Officially Retired
02-20-2012, 04:52 AM
As a photographer, it is kind of frustrating thinking about what a shame it is more dogmen are not into photography.

Why do I say this?

Well, just think about what a difference it would make to the history of our breed if everyone had possessed a halfway-decent camera, and then really took the time to photograph some of our history's greatest dogs? Instead of a small, blurry blurb of a photo, just imagine if most dogmen had excellent cameras and took some really excellent shots of their dogs? It would make writing a book about them easier, as well as make reading about them that much more enjoyable. I know Evo has taken some great shots of Machobuck and others, and there were some great shots of Mayday too (and a couple of Jeep), but for the most part quality photography of bulldogs is utterly lacking.

In today's "cell phone generation," people are into the "quick shot" of a dog ... but if you really have a good dog, it's nice to have a camera to document that really good dog for history-sake. I sure wish I knew more about photography back when I started out. I got some decent shots of some old-time dogs, but I sure wish I would have done so with a better camera!

Deep down, all of us appreciate a great picture of a great dog, and yet for some reason few of us ever really bother to purchase a halfway-decent camera to enable ourselves to do so. A basic, quality camera only costs about $500 nowadays, and a halfway-decent lens costs about the same amount. $1000 is a small investment to put out in order to get back a lifetime's worth of crystal-clear memories of your very best dogs ... and, who knows, maybe that dog will go down in history someday ... so why not have a really great shot of him/her, taken at a fantastic angle, rather than a murky shot taken at a poorly-composed angle.

Something to think about anyway ...

Jack

Runner
02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
VEry nice post, I am an addicted amateur photographer. I will post some shot later and see if you like them. I use canon equipment

Officially Retired
02-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Absolutely, there is a photography section of this Forum here that you are more than welcome to use ... unless it's bulldog pics, and then of course you're welcome to post those in this section :mrgreen:

Lost Breed
02-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Here goes a pic of my bulldawg i took with a 50D Canon.

Runner
02-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice

Officially Retired
02-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Almost has a sepia tone to it ...

STONEWALL
02-22-2012, 01:24 AM
A good friend of mine had some pups stolen from him. Lucky for him he had taken real good pictures of each pup. It helped him ID one of the pups and he was able to get her back.

QCKLime
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I 100% agree. Two of the things I lamented the most when I first got into dogs was the lack of rock-solid line breedings on some phenomenal dogs, AND the fact that very few people took decent pictures of their dogs, IF they took any at all. Both are a travesty to history.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, pictures of good dogs have only gotten worse, instead of better, with time. There is a onslaught of incredibly terrible pedigree pictures all over peds-online, and not in just the angle or quality of pictures, but hardly anyone takes their dogs off of the chain to get a decent picture these days, so you end up with a ton of dogs on questionable set ups with dirty water in a chewed up plastic bucket and a makeshift house in the background. Exceptions to that image are few and far between :(

Officially Retired
02-26-2012, 05:19 PM
A good friend of mine had some pups stolen from him. Lucky for him he had taken real good pictures of each pup. It helped him ID one of the pups and he was able to get her back.

That is another reason to take photos, true.

Especially with a good camera that has RAW exif capture data ... a thief can lie about having the dog "all along" ... but if you have RAW camera files showing him from puppyhood on, all with dates, etc., it's pretty hard for a thief to lie his way out of that :lol:

Officially Retired
02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I 100% agree. Two of the things I lamented the most when I first got into dogs was the lack of rock-solid line breedings on some phenomenal dogs, AND the fact that very few people took decent pictures of their dogs, IF they took any at all. Both are a travesty to history.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, pictures of good dogs have only gotten worse, instead of better, with time. There is a onslaught of incredibly terrible pedigree pictures all over peds-online, and not in just the angle or quality of pictures, but hardly anyone takes their dogs off of the chain to get a decent picture these days, so you end up with a ton of dogs on questionable set ups with dirty water in a chewed up plastic bucket and a makeshift house in the background. Exceptions to that image are few and far between :(

Well said. Not only agreement on the first part, but as to the second part (aside from too many people leaving piles of $#!^ in the background of their pictures, it has always seemed to me that dogmen have a defective gene when it comes to mowing the lawn ... as almost every "chain spot" photo ever made is surrounded by 3' high, uncut grass :lol:

SwampDweller
11-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Took a pic of FMK's V-DAWG 1xw-ROM and posted it on his ped, but it's side-ways! If anyone knows how to correct it; I'd appreciate it. I tried and tried, but I just can't get it, and don't have the time to keep at it. Some help is needed, and again, it'll be much appreciated.

R2L
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Took a pic of FMK's V-DAWG 1xw-ROM and posted it on his ped, but it's side-ways! If anyone knows how to correct it; I'd appreciate it. I tried and tried, but I just can't get it, and don't have the time to keep at it. Some help is needed, and again, it'll be much appreciated.

:cheers:

SwampDweller
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Thx

CRISIS
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
i was at the local best buy a few months back and was checking out the basic nikon, the camera itself was about $100 on sale, are those decent cameras?????

Officially Retired
11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
i was at the local best buy a few months back and was checking out the basic nikon, the camera itself was about $100 on sale, are those decent cameras?????

Camera quality all has to do with resolution/sharpness and dynamic tonal range.

If you're just trying to post photos online, it is probably all you need. If you're trying to print really nice images, you need to reach a little further up the scale.

Jack

HappyBox
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I personally really appreciate quality pics of dogs! I myself don't own a camera but have a couple of friends who own really nice ones and have great skills behind the camera and have taken excellent shots for me. Quality photos give you insight to the type, structure and the beauty of a dog and especially come in handy when you may not be able to see the dog in person.

Jack I have seen some of your photos and they are absolutely beautiful. You obviously own a very nice camera with the photography skills to boot.

Officially Retired
11-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I personally really appreciate quality pics of dogs! I myself don't own a camera but have a couple of friends who own really nice ones and have great skills behind the camera and have taken excellent shots for me. Quality photos give you insight to the type, structure and the beauty of a dog and especially come in handy when you may not be able to see the dog in person.
Jack I have seen some of your photos and they are absolutely beautiful. You obviously own a very nice camera with the photography skills to boot.

Thank you :)

Here is the photo equipment (http://www.macrophotopro.com/equipment.html) I have to date.

Here are some of my photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrophotopro) 8)

Jack

HappyBox
11-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Holy Shiznit those are some serious cameras! and the quality of the photos are great super clear and crisp. Very professional. I'd love to have you take pics of my dog!

montycash
12-25-2012, 04:41 PM
glad that you posted this im a bit late but hey
Previously when you did have the other blog page you had a section where people did post pics of their dogs and so forth im about to get a Nikon d5100 used to start taking pic's of my dogs well one im going to be getting out of dogs for a little while and 2 i want to take picture of all the dogs the kennel and so forth i also am agreeing you pictures does make you see from where you started off from and specific breeding's and so forth to where you are at present time. So i am pro doggers getting into taking photos of their breedings and their yard and dogs in general . Shows your past to present and future. I got some pics in my cellphone that i am probably going put on my laptop and post soon I also want to know jack if your going to be starting pack up the picture page again