PDA

View Full Version : Different Temperature In Dogs???

Perro_Verdugo
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Why do some people say i have a hot dog and others say i have a cold dog? Does it have something to do with there metabolism or maybe there core temp????idk

skipper
02-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Why do some people say i have a hot dog and others say i have a cold dog? Does it have something to do with there metabolism or maybe there core temp????idk

A cold dog is a dog that have no interest in fighting other dogs. You see lots of adds in the sales section that people claiming they have hot pups. IMO this is just a sales pitch. But the meaning of it would be that a hot dog is a dog that is eager to fight other dogs.

Perro_Verdugo
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
i guess i need some igloo's lol

Officially Retired
02-21-2012, 02:57 AM
A cold dog is a dog that have no interest in fighting other dogs. You see lots of adds in the sales section that people claiming they have hot pups. IMO this is just a sales pitch. But the meaning of it would be that a hot dog is a dog that is eager to fight other dogs.

Most of the best dogs I've had were pretty mellow overall ... until the gauntlet was thrown down or they went "in their office" ...

skipper
02-21-2012, 03:56 AM

Most of the best dogs I've had were pretty mellow overall ... until the gauntlet was thrown down or they went "in their office" ...

That is my experience as well. Don't know if people agree, but in my experience extremely fight crazy dogs seldom are as smart and calculating as a calmer and more laid back dog. The best ones I've fed where pretty laid back and highly social functional in any field. This might just be in my own experience. What are your thoughts on this jack?

Officially Retired
02-21-2012, 04:08 AM
That is my experience as well. Don't know if people agree, but in my experience an extremely fight crazy dog seldom are as smart and calculating as a calmer and more laid back dog. This might just be in my own experience. What are your thoughts on this jack?

It makes perfect sense, if you think about it.

Part of ability is intelligence ... and part of intelligence is judgment. The dog who is able to judge other dogs correctly is almost by definition "savvy" ... which will naturally spill over into combat areas. Further, part of courage is confidence, and part of self-confidence is poise. A dog that is able to keep his composure, and accurately-assess the situations he's in ... if he's got the genetics in him to be a talented, game dog in the [] ... is only going to be that much better as both a performer and an overall animal.

By contrast, the "high-strung, geeky" types, while they may be fun to watch and they may look good if they have the physical advantages ... often fall apart if they meet their equal or better ... simply because they do not have the natural poise to keep it together while they're behind. I have seen a lot of "hyper" dogs pretty much go to pieces if under the absolute dominance of a better foe. They just can't take it mentally.

It almost always seems to be the truly calm, poised, highly-intelligent dogs that keep it together if they're behind ... as they slowly, deliberately work their way out of the situation with calm, dogged determination.

Jack

skipper
02-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Well put. I fully agree with you. A smart and calculating dog who can handle stress when pressured is hard to beat. I am in no way a fan of crazy barnstorming one dimensional dogs. Been there done that. All it gave me were a lesson learned the hard way.

scary
02-21-2012, 04:45 AM

I agree as well. I use to have a bitch that was "cold" or so she would lead you to believe. She would act and i mean act like she was the most animal friendly dog around just until she could get close enough.... I mean this bitch would lay on her side in her circle like she was a cur just to get dog puppy close enough to her then...
She gave my wife her first real experience with these dogs :lol:

Officially Retired
02-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Well put. I fully agree with you. A smart and calculating dog who can handle stress when pressured is hard to beat. I am in no way a fan of crazy barnstorming one dimensional dogs. Been there done that. All it gave me were a lesson learned the hard way.

Still more agreement. In fact, I would further modify what I said to posit: all the ability any dog has is controlled by its judgment and poise.

On one of my previous boards, TFX and I had a discussion of economy of movement, which can only be a trademark of truly calm, poised, calculating dogs. If two dogs have (say) 100 units of energy each, then the dog who conserves his energy will simply last longer than the dog who wastes it. Conversely, the dog that is "going wild" is wasting whatever "units of energy" he has, and so cannot possibly last as long in an epic struggle as the dog who conserves his energy.

People seldom see this difference when a "crazy" dog wins in short order ... because of his physical gifts ... but if he ever draws a true calm, calculating bulldog out of the "Deck of Possible Opponents" ... that has the same or better gifts, but who conserves his energy ... then that "crazy" dog is going to find himself deep in the trenches, with all his energy gone, and a still-capable animal taking it to him hard, with plenty of energy still in the tank. This is the very recipe for yet another barnstormer quitting to yet another true pro animal.

Basic principles.

Jack

Officially Retired
02-21-2012, 05:45 AM
I agree as well. I use to have a bitch that was "cold" or so she would lead you to believe. She would act and i mean act like she was the most animal friendly dog around just until she could get close enough.... I mean this bitch would lay on her side in her circle like she was a cur just to get dog puppy close enough to her then...
She gave my wife her first real experience with these dogs :lol:

That dog is too smart :lol:

eagle
02-21-2012, 07:09 AM

:twisted: jokerrr