PDA

View Full Version : SNAKE REPELLENT

QCK23
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Anyone know of proven snake repellent? I have heard of everything from moth balls to lime, I even heard to throw golfballs out and snakes will eat them and die from digestion complications (this doesn't make any sense to me because snakes rely on other senses besides sight when hunting and would be able to tell the golfballs are not a viable food source). Its getting close to the time snakes will be popping up around the yard so any ideas or tricks would be appreciated.

No Quarter Kennel
02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Led injections

Officially Retired
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Anyone know of proven snake repellent? I have heard of everything from moth balls to lime, I even heard to throw golfballs out and snakes will eat them and die from digestion complications (this doesn't make any sense to me because snakes rely on other senses besides sight when hunting and would be able to tell the golfballs are not a viable food source). Its getting close to the time snakes will be popping up around the yard so any ideas or tricks would be appreciated.

Your best defense against snakes is simply keeping your most valuable animals in an above-ground pen.

The rest of those claims are wives' tales & superstitions.

Jack

Professor
02-27-2012, 04:45 AM
There's a product named Snake Repel that consists of moth balls and sulphur. Can't vouch for its worth.

skipper
02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I've heard that you can ring in your yard with a line of spill oil. Snakes aren't suppose to cross it. Haven't tried this myself since we barley have snakes where I live. A friend from Texas told me this.

wrknapbt
02-29-2012, 02:11 AM
There's a product named Snake Repel that consists of moth balls and sulphur. Can't vouch for its worth.

Works well but it cost too much for such a small amount. The best form of snake repellent is a clean insect free yard. You take away their eco-system and they will not come there but if you allow worms, grubs and other things that rats or frogs eat to build up the snakes will come with intent to eat those things.

Officially Retired
02-29-2012, 03:38 AM
The biggest flaw to the idea of snake repellent is the fact the environment is forever changing. A good, hard rain washes away pretty much all the money it took to put whatever you put out there (most of which isn't exactly environmentally-friendly anyway).

The idea of keeping a clean yard that's "insect free" may be possible on a small yard in certain mild, suburban areas of the country (invariably at the cost of using environmentally-questionable chemicals), but when you live on 50 acres of wild, Florida wilderness, you aren't keeping anything away. I mean, unless you have DEEP pockets (and are willing to devastate an entire ecosystem with environmentally-ravaging chemicals), you're not keeping any bugs away. For the person who truly lives out in "wild country," the more sane (and, really, only sure-fire, 100% effective) way to keep your dogs 100% away from snakes is to have them up off the ground.

No chemicals needed and it's 100% effective.

Jack

wrknapbt
02-29-2012, 04:39 AM
The biggest flaw to the idea of snake repellent is the fact the environment is forever changing. A good, hard rain washes away pretty much all the money it took to put whatever you put out there (most of which isn't exactly environmentally-friendly anyway).

The idea of keeping a clean yard that's "insect free" may be possible on a small yard in certain mild, suburban areas of the country (invariably at the cost of using environmentally-questionable chemicals), but when you live on 50 acres of wild, Florida wilderness, you aren't keeping anything away. I mean, unless you have DEEP pockets (and are willing to devastate an entire ecosystem with environmentally-ravaging chemicals), you're not keeping any bugs away. For the person who truly lives out in "wild country," the more sane (and, really, only sure-fire, 100% effective) way to keep your dogs 100% away from snakes is to have them up off the ground.

No chemicals needed and it's 100% effective.

Jack

True and it will get costly after awhile as well. Another thing to think about when trying to control the ecosystem of the snakes is, what you are feeding. If your feeding kibble and keeping it stored in a place where mice and rats can get to it they will bed and reproduce which will make the area more attractive to snakes because of a food supply.

Jack I'm no wild life expert by far. But don't some snakes climb? I know that I was out tracking my dog one summer morning and there was a black snake hanging from a tree. But then again black snakes are good snakes to have around right?

Officially Retired
02-29-2012, 04:54 AM
True and it will get costly after awhile as well.

Yep, not to mention work-intensive as well as environmentally-irresponsible.

Another thing to think about when trying to control the ecosystem of the snakes is, what you are feeding. If your feeding kibble and keeping it stored in a place where mice and rats can get to it they will bed and reproduce which will make the area more attractive to snakes because of a food supply.

That is absolutely true ... which is yet another reason not to feed kibble.

Jack I'm no wild life expert by far. But don't some snakes climb? I know that I was out tracking my dog one summer morning and there was a black snake hanging from a tree. But then again black snakes are good snakes to have around right?

Good point, and yes again, some snakes do climb. However, in America, the only climbing snakes are non-venomous (rat snakes, corn snakes, racers and whipsnakes, etc.). Rattlesnakes do not climb and neither do copperheads or moccasins, and coral snakes are burrowing animals, spending most of their lives underground. There are no arboreal venomous snakes in the US ... however in Africa, South America, etc. that is another story.

So, in the USA, keeping your dogs in an above-ground pen is a 100% effective measure, it does not harm the environment, and (once the pen is built) does not entail a constant re-distribution of chemicals.

Jack

QCK23
02-29-2012, 05:46 AM
I think we are going to find a bad ass Tom cat to patrol the grounds...big, thick skin, cropped tail, missing an eye, yall know the type. Its gotta at least be smart enough to stay away from the dogs though.;)