PDA

View Full Version : Bust in North Carolina

Officially Retired
02-28-2012, 05:18 AM
Heard from a dude I know in the NC/SC area that there was a recent bust there involving legendary dogman F.J. Rumor has it that they were caught as things were happening, and that it was all due to a disgruntled snitch who was living with the old man. Do not know the full details yet, or who all was involved, but if you're in the NC/SC area, be careful what you say and who you talk to ...

Jack

SDJ2010
02-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Heard the same...

evolutionkennels
02-29-2012, 05:42 AM
MAXTON, N.C. -- North Carolina authorities are searching for a Scotland County man they say is the ringleader of multiple dog fighting operations. The Scotland County Sheriff's Office and state Alcohol Law Enforcement agents have pending felony charges for 69-year-old Frank Jacobs of Laurinburg. Jacobs was among 27 people arrested Saturday in a raid on a Robeson County home where authorities say a dog fight was under way. After those arrests, police then raided Jacobs' home in Laurinburg. They say they found 13 dogs, many with wounds or scars, along with dog-fighting paraphernalia and several quarts of moonshine. Authorities think Jacobs is involved in more than one large-scale dog-fighting operation, including some that extend into other states.It couldn't be immediately determined Wednesday if Jacobs has a lawyer.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/02/29/2688497/nc-authorities-seek-man-on-dog.html#storylink=cpy
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Twenty-seven people were arrested on charges ranging from dog fighting and animal cruelty to being spectators at a dog fight. Some spectators came from as far away as Maryland and Ohio. The investigation started with a call to a dog fighting tipline set up by Norred & Associates, a private security firm based in Atlanta. Chuck Simmons, Norred's lead investigator, said he saw several people jump into a drainage ditch in an attempt to escape. "They probably didn't know it contained water," he said. "As cold as it was last night, they couldn't have been happy campers when they emerged." Simmons said law enforcement officers were aided by helicopters with infrared detectors. "They were able to quickly apprehend suspects based on detection of their body heat," Simmons said. Several dogs had serious wounds and scars from previous injuries.

They were treated by members of the Atlanta Humane Society's "Humane Emergency Animal Rescue Team" (HEART). The animals were transported to a secure, undisclosed location in the Atlanta area for further care and evaluation. At least one of the animals was a puppy. During the raid, authorities seized drugs, guns and tens of thousands of dollars. The operation was headed by Special Agents from the North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement Division, who were assisted by the North Carolina Highway Patrol, North Carolina wildlife officers, the North Carolina Department of Corrections, the North Carolina Air National Guard and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

To anonymously report suspected cases of animal cruelty, phone 1.877.215.2250.

A reward of up to $5,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest or conviction of a dogfighter.

For more information, visit www.helpstopdogfighting.com.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

ATLANTA -- Calls to a special hotline for dogfighting tips have slowed down in recent months, according to a private security firm that investigates the tips. "Either we're making a difference, they're going underground or they're going out of state," said Greg Norred, CEO of Norred & Associates. "I'd like to think we're making a difference." For the the past four years, Norred has invested his own money to set up a tipline and train four of his private detectives to pursue dogfighting cases. He said he was motivated by the Michael Vick in 2007. "I guess I'm a sucker for animals. I think these fighting dogs have been dealt a bad hand," Norred said. "Sappy as it sounds, I can't turn my back on them." To date, Norred's firm has rescued more than 850 dogs in 31 raids, with close to 50 arrests. The most recent tip involved a property in Spalding County. Last week, Spalding County animal control officers executed an inspection warrant last week. They found 25 pit bulls chained up and cited the owners for a range of violations that could lead to fines of up to $20,000. But they didn't have enough evidence to seize the dogs or file criminal charges. "We had suspicion there was a dogfighting operation there," Norred said. "We at least did something to make an impact there and hopefully it will deter anything like that from that group, again."

Here dogfighting tipline: 1-877-215-2250.

Officially Retired
02-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Well, now we know the motive that the broke-dick tenant had: a $5000 reward. A lot of these busts have been because of meth-head, lowlife junkies looking for a reward. That guy who had 11 dogs from me, and who got raided in Arkansas, it was for the same reason: that $5000 reward that some meth-head junkie needed and so dropped a dime on his own friend.

Moral: do not let people who always seem to "need money" into your circle :idea:

Jack

skipper
02-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Moral: do not let people who always seem to "need money" into your circle :idea:

Jack

I would take it one step further. Only deal with people you trust. Things might go slower, but in the end it's well worth it.

Officially Retired
02-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I would take it one step further. Only deal with people you trust. Things might go slower, but in the end it's well worth it.

Agreed.

And I, for one, would never trust anyone whose judgment is so poor that they're a meth-head. Desperate people do desperate things, and the proven history of junkies in general is to make poor, desperate decisions and so, by default, they cannot be trusted.

Jack

evolutionkennels
02-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Better yet,

Don't let anyone new into the circle PERIOD.

Officially Retired
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Latest word on the street (from a local dude I know in the area) is they found a ledger Jacobs kept as to the deals he had. I looked up the local info online, but did not find that, but I did find these links:

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/view/full_story/17697892/article-Accused-in-dog-fight-named?instance=search_results

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/view/full_story/17712610/article-Accused-dog-fighter-surrenders?instance=search_results

Jack

SHOWBOX
03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Just to caveat on the aforementioned, many times when dealing with our “friends and acquaintances” they reveal to us their true nature. More often than not we’ve seen through their words, actions and ethics that their moral character is compromised, yet we continue to entrust them with our time, secrets and treasures. Why? This baffles me.

I was warned as a boy “be careful the company you keep” but even I haven’t always followed true to this advice and because of this, I’ve learned some difficult lessons, to include falling victim to a charlatan. But it’s through these life lessons that I’ve discovered, a man’s character, his ethics and values are critical and should never be compromised.

As unfortunate as this situation may be, let us all learn from it, because some lessons are better learned through the lapse of others. Please keep him in your prayers.

SGC
03-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Just to caveat on the aforementioned, many times when dealing with our “friends and acquaintances” they reveal to us their true nature. More often than not we’ve seen through their words, actions and ethics that their moral character is compromised, yet we continue to entrust them with our time, secrets and treasures.

Very true...

And about the bust, why don't they go solve some real crimes, like arresting murderers and thieves. What harm does an old dog guy 69 years old do to the community in real life?

Plus the dogs get "rescued" so they can kill them "for their own good" which is the usual fate of dogs taken in a bust. Yeah, that's really saving them! Ugh...

I bet those big rewards are used as bait and rarely paid out, but it's enough to get some scum to call in.