PDA

View Full Version : Rabies Alert in Florida

SGC
02-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Rabies Alert in Florida posted on Feb 24th, 2012.

I’ve not had much on line time recently but I saw this and thought it was worth posting –

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120224/ARTICLES/120229695?p=1&tc=pg

Area between Archer, Newberry and Bronson under rabies alert
By Anne Geggis

A Levy County family is getting a series of rabies vaccines starting today after the family pet dog tested positive for rabies.

In connection with that case, the Alachua County Health Department is warning the public about the rabies danger.

The rabies alert will be in effect for the next 60 days in the around Forest Park and University Oaks -- in an area between Archer, Newberry and Bronson.

Anyone who might have come in contact with the dog -- a light brown American bulldog - since Feb. 9 is urged to contact the Health Department.

“Hopefully there aren’t any other exposures, but we want to get the word out as best we can because there is no cure for rabies and it is fatal,” said Anthony Dennis, environmental health director for the Alachua County Health Department.

The dog, reportedly last vaccinated seven years ago, was found with a dead raccoon last month and began acting aggressively Sunday. On Tuesday, a veterinarian reported to the Levy County Health Department that a dog had been euthanized and needed to be tested for rabies. The dog’s brain tissue was tested at state Health Department labs in Tampa and results came back positive for rabies Thursday, Dennis said.

Interviews with the owner Thursday revealed that the dog had scratched his owner’s legs and been behaving aggressively to the family’s two other dogs.

Post-exposure rabies vaccination was recommended for the owner. Friday, the owner, his wife and the two children went to an Alachua hospital for treatment. The family’s other two dogs will be euthanized.

The area of the alert is basically between Bronson and Newberry and, specifically, north of State Road 24, east of State Road 337, south of Southwest 119th Avenue and West of Northeast 130th Avenue.

Residents should not approach wild or unfamiliar animals, Dennis said.

In a news release, he also issued the following advice:
■ All pets should have current rabies immunizations.
■ Secure outside garbage in covered containers to avoid attracting wild animals.
■ Do not leave pet food outside. This also attracts other animals.
■ For questions regarding the health of an animal, contact a veterinarian.
■ Persons who have been bitten or scratched by wild or domestic animals should seek medical attention and report the injury to the local County Health Department.

Those who want further information are urged to visit the Florida Department of Health website:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/medicine/rabies/rabies-index.html

Or contact Levy County Health Department, Environmental Health office at 352 486-5301 or the Alachua County Health Department, Environmental Health office at 352-334-7930.

I remember seeing sick raccoons often when I lived in Daytona Beach. I don't believe in over vaccinating but rabies is nothing to fool around with...

Officially Retired
03-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Thank you for posting this--it's right where I live!

SGC
03-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Yes, when I saw it, I thought it might be close to you.

I am sure all your doggies are up to date on rabies but be careful and watch for sick raccoons. As the weather warms up even more, rabies usually will spread more.

And what fools to not vaccinate their dogs in over 7 years. That cost the lives of all 3 dogs owned by those folks.

Scary stuff... be safe!