PDA

View Full Version : Pure and working Hollingswoth blood

Milky
03-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Where to find solid Hollingsblood these days ?

Officially Retired
03-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you read my book on this blood?

Milky
03-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I have not, Jack.
Maybe I'll have to check it out.

Officially Retired
03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
I have not, Jack.
Maybe I'll have to check it out.

The reason why I ask is because it helps to understand what we're talking about here.

Technically-speaking, there is no such thing as a "pure Hollingsworth dog," seeing as Hollingsworth hasn't bred a dog since 1992 (and most of the dogs he bred were born before that). Therefore, if some guy today claims to have "a pure Hollingsworth dog," he really doesn't, because other people had their hands in the breedings besides Hollingsworth.

Thus the real question becomes, "What made the Hollingsworth dogs so special?", the answer to which is basically two-fold: 1) their gameness percentages and 2) their remarkable genetic uniformity/looks. Hollingsworth bred to dogs that came from all-game (or nearly all-game) litters, and most of them (up until he bred to Yellow) were magnificent red/rednose animals. Yet if someone today has dogs down from these dogs, that lost their qualities somewhere along the way and aren't any good, are they really "Hollingsworth dogs" (especially since Hollingsworth didn't breed them)? My belief in this regard is NO.

Therefore, to try to get "a pure Hollingsworth dog" in today's game can't really be done. What can be done, however, is recognizing the genetic make-up of the Hollingsworth dogs, finding a group of dogs bred along the same basic lines, and held to the same basic standards. Another thing that could be done is to hold your own yard of dogs to this standard, and build a bloodline like this of your own.

Jack