PDA

View Full Version : 13week pup problem

gabbagabbahey
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Several day before taking a pup for 2nd jab she developed a slight rattle which sounded like a chest infection. Only happening after bringing her in after relieving herself or after running around.
Vets at 12week for 2nd jab & mentioned it. Listened to her chest & gave her a thorough once over. Felt the trachia & the rattle started. Vet says the pup appears in good health & her chest sounds A1. Says it is a mild virus similar to kennel cough & it will clear up in 7 days by itself. No antibiotics needed.
Vets 7day later & again the same problem,but it did seem to have eased a wee bit. Same check up as last time & vet said she was happy to give the 2nd jab. She believed the trachia was not as sore. Don't worry as this will clear up !! She is getting a rabies jab so is booked in again 7 day later. That was 4 day ago & no change.
The pup has always been A1,eating & sleeping. Never brought anything up. Basically,other than the wee problem she is A1.
My problem is that it is still ongoing & this pup is going overseas.
She has been around mum everyday & littermate with no problems to them.
Since the symptoms appeared i have kept her inside all day with me. Starting from today i have swapped the pups around so that she is outside with mum all day. I am thinking the house ain't improved anything so maybe the run around with mum all day will.
At a wee bit of a dilemma here as i won't send her anywhere unless she is A1 & who am i to doubt the vets opinion. Everything was paid up front to the vet & i am trying to get things sorted while taking her for the jabs so as to save on consultation fees.
Any advice/opinion is more than welcome Jack.

Officially Retired
03-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Your vet is not very thorough and is making a lot of assumptions. How does he magically "know" it's a virus, as opposed to a bacterial, infection?

If it were my pup, I would have given it TMZ or Tylan, as both are good for bacterial bronchial infections. If either of the drugs worked, great. If the rattle was still going on I would then get an xray of the heart to rule out a congenital heart defect.

But what I wouldn't do is be totally irresponsible and send a pup with an unknown problem like that to a customer in another country. That is your responsibility to completely resolve that problem before sending the animal.

Good luck,

Jack

gabbagabbahey
03-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanx for your opinion Jack.
It may or may not be serious,but i have gave the pup time to recover as the vet said it would. That ain't worked so it has to be looked into more thoroughly.
She has been out all day today with mum & both have ran their wee hearts out. No panting or any problems.
No way would i send a pup if it was not perfect & i have mentioned this as soon as it never cleared up after the week. Even offering the pup i was keeping back,so i personally would be missing out.
I let it be known that i was a wee bit dissapointed at the latest vet appointment,but they put me at ease. Hope they are right & i am wrong,but if not then it is a lesson learnt as to paying up front for everything. If i never then i would most probably went elsewhere. Especially if she is no better come tuesday...............

Officially Retired
03-16-2012, 07:06 AM
I won't harm to give a little Tylan. You can get it at any feed store, and even though it's not specifically labeled for dogs, it has some significant useful benefit to dogs, specifically for bronchial/pneumonia-like problems. The reason this drug is generally contraindicated for dogs is it tends to cause soreness and possible infection at the injection site, but being aware of this and disinfecting the injection site are ways around this problem.

Tylan comes in the following sizes: Tylan-50, Tylan-100, and Tylan-200, which simply indicate increased concentrations of the drug (50mg/ml, 100 mg/ml, and 200 mg/ml, respectively).

Since this drug is dosed at 4.45mg/lb, IM, SID-BID (every 12-24 hrs), and since there can be problems associated with pain or reactions to the injection, it only makes sense to buy the Tylan-200 to minimize the amount of fluid that enters the dog. To show the difference in amounts to be injected, a 40-lb dog would need 3.6 ml of the Tylan-50, which would burn like hell, but yet he would only need 0.9 ml of the Tylan 200 which limited amount would help minimize any pain or lump from forming.

If 0.9 ml of Tylan 200 would be the dose for a 40 lb dog, then you'd only need about 0.25 ml (¼ ml) for a 10 lb pup--or half of that for a 5 lb pup.

Adjust the actual dosage based on the size of your individual pup and give for no more than 5 days.

Hope this helps,

Jack