PDA

View Full Version : Puppy food?

Oregonbulldog
03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Is there any problem feeding ground beef to pups?

Officially Retired
04-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Yes, for one thing, ground beef is nowhere near nutritionally-complete by itself, and for another they'll get rickets unless you add a substantial amount of bone meal to the ration.

Feeding chopped up chicken quarters, bone and all, is much better, as well as the other ingredients mentioned in my book.

Oregonbulldog
04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Are you saying they need calcium?..Ive been feeding them; chicken thighs ( chop the bone up with a butcher knife cuz there still pups), flax seed, a spoon full of plain yogurt, and some beef liver about the size of a fifty cent piece. What do you think?..
I was thinking about subing the hamburger for the chicken, but in order to do this i need to add bone meal. The same stuff from a gardening store?...

Officially Retired
04-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Are you saying they need calcium?..Ive been feeding them; chicken thighs ( chop the bone up with a butcher knife cuz there still pups), flax seed, a spoon full of plain yogurt, and some beef liver about the size of a fifty cent piece. What do you think?..
I was thinking about subing the hamburger for the chicken, but in order to do this i need to add bone meal. The same stuff from a gardening store?...

I don't think you're making a wise choice by substituting hamburger meat for chicken, nor can I recommend you buying bone meal at a gardening store.

The diet in my book is what I recommend. If you want to make up your own diet, then the research is on you, but if you want me to recommend something then it has to be close to a complete diet. I don't honestly think your given diet is complete enough as it is, and if you reduce the quality further by subbing hamburger meat for chicken, you will be diminishing it further, rather than enhancing it.

If you would like to see a good "spin" on my diet, QCK23 posted his version (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?846) of my diet, which I think is excellent.

Jack