PDA

View Full Version : At What Age???

TopShelfKennels
04-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Just curious to see what others opinions are on the subject. At what age would you stop letting your hounds hunt for fun?? I'm talking about older dogs that have already proven their worth and over the age of 5 yrs old. Had a long discussion on what some should or shouldn't do with older dogs that have graduated high school and their uses other than breeding... My belief is to let the individual choose when to call it quits or not, if they still seem to have that fire and desire, I'll let them play.

R2L
04-01-2012, 06:12 AM
play ok, but for a show i think it it takes more then fire and desire. many are mistaken by what their dog can do on a long run

No Quarter Kennel
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I believe this to be a very dog to dog, individual situation. I believe it to be a "mileage" kind of thing.

20 year old sports care with only 15,000 miles on it is much better than a 1 year old sports care with 150,000 miles on it.

Just one of many things to consider.

Officially Retired
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I agree, it varies on the dog.

Generally-speaking, a dog is a puppy until it's about 2 years old.

From 2 years to 3 years, the dog is an adult and s/he reaches its prime by the age of 3 years.

From 3-5 years are a dog's peak performance years, with 6 years being the beginning of the decline.

This is why it's best to start schooling around the ages of 16 months to 2 years, and to have the dog ready for his first by the age of 3 years, when he enters his prime, and to have the dog's match career be between the ages of 3-5, which are his best years. After that, it is downhill for the dog.

I think it is okay to use an older dog for a roll (theoretically, of course), but I would suggest not matching one passed that point. Yet, as mentioned, it is an individual thing, and some 7 year old dogs will whip whatever's in front of them. Robert T is an example of a dog done wrong, where he finally lost at 9 years old. Boxing is filled with fighters who tarnish their memory by fighting too long.

At some point, you have to respect the dog and just feed him and breed him.

Jack

No Quarter Kennel
04-02-2012, 04:11 AM
what the hell is wrong with my typing????? sports "care"........sheesh

Officially Retired
04-02-2012, 07:11 AM
what the hell is wrong with my typing????? sports "care"........sheesh

You can always hit the "Edit" Button ;)