PDA

View Full Version : Talking down another's man line

wrknapbt
04-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Okay so I have been reading thru some of the post and I gotta say that I admire the fact that no one really talks down another person's family of dogs here. I've seen on other boards where someone who post a ped or dog and the "old timer" would be fast to jump on the person saying that the dog is notbred that way or just really jumping on the person who bred the dog all t make them seen as if they have the exclusive rights to the bloodline of the dog in question. Instead of syaing hey Ihave some really nice dogs that would match up well with that pedigree.

R2L
04-04-2012, 08:04 AM
The truth about 2 stories often lays somewhere in between, so unless you come with facts/proof or constructive feedback there is no point talking "down" on someone or his dog(s). Great job keeping up the positive atmosphere so far. I have caught Jack editing one of my messages, deleting the word: "wtf" :)

evolutionkennels
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
How dare you Jack? :)

R2L
04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
:rotflmao:

Officially Retired
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I have caught Jack editing one of my messages, deleting the word: "wtf" :)

How dare you Jack? :)

:D

Officially Retired
04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Okay so I have been reading thru some of the post and I gotta say that I admire the fact that no one really talks down another person's family of dogs here. I've seen on other boards where someone who post a ped or dog and the "old timer" would be fast to jump on the person saying that the dog is notbred that way or just really jumping on the person who bred the dog all t make them seen as if they have the exclusive rights to the bloodline of the dog in question. Instead of syaing hey Ihave some really nice dogs that would match up well with that pedigree.

Well, thank you for noticing, and that is what this place is for: reasoned, mature dog talk.

Inflammatory language, and the refusal to see the good in other lines, makes having a reasonable and productive discussion between fanciers impossible.

That said, it is human nature to talk-down our opponents ("X football team rules/"Y" football team sucks, etc.). In fighting, people have styles that they like, and styles that they dislike, and again it is human nature to play-up what we like and down-talk what we don't like.

However, when a little maturity and perspective is gained, it has to be admitted that all legitimate lines produce winners and losers, great dogs and lousy dogs (as do different mixes). Same thing with all styles. I do believe some lines produce more lousy dogs than good dogs, while other lines produce more good dogs than lousy dogs, but within those extremes there are still good and bad in all bloodlines. (Again, same thing with all styles.) In the end, with a little maturity, there can simply be appreciation for "rival bloodlines" doing well. That is called good sportsmanship, and this can only happen in a civilized environment :D

We all have our biases and our prejudices, and it is easy to get caught up in them and say things we shouldn't, but in the effort to sincerely call ourselves "bulldog fanciers" keeping an open mind to the effectiveness of lines/styles different from our own preferences, and an honest eye on other people's dogs, is always better than the reverse.

Jack

PS: Jack Kelly had a funny article in the old Journal years back called, "That's My Dog Syndrome," which was one of the funniest pieces on dogman kennel blindness I have ever read :D

No Quarter Kennel
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree with all above. It's very refreshing to have so many legit and knowledgable dogmen on this forum. Only ignorant rooky minded folks do that kind of thing.

skipper
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
In my experience. The ones that trash talks you the most, are the ones that avoids you the most. It's a sign of weakness in my opinion. Talk is cheap and actual work is bloody hard. I like that this site isn't that kind of kindergarten like Feds online are nowadays, with if you're lucky 1 of thousand threads actually discussing dogs in a friendly matter. You have done a good job Jack. Hats off.

Officially Retired
04-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Thank you No Quarter and Skipper.

"We" have done a good job 8)

I can't wait until the grunt work of designing everything, and trying to integrate the Pedigree aspect is behind me, so that I can spend more time just talking dogs :D

Jack

wrknapbt
04-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Thank you No Quarter and Skipper.

"We" have done a good job 8)

I can't wait until the grunt work of designing everything, and trying to integrate the Pedigree aspect is behind me, so that I can spend more time just talking dogs :D

Jack

Someon asked me why I don't take on client dogs to train in sport work. I'vedone it before but it just takes the joy out of dog training when making it a business. So Jack I say that because you doing this if you not careful will zap the joy out of it. So take it easy and try to always find some fun in it.

Officially Retired
04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Someon asked me why I don't take on client dogs to train in sport work. I'vedone it before but it just takes the joy out of dog training when making it a business. So Jack I say that because you doing this if you not careful will zap the joy out of it. So take it easy and try to always find some fun in it.

Interesting. But that is true of everything, is it not?

When we were kids, we used to "play" baseball. In little league, it got more serious, because there was practice and judgments going on. In pro baseball, where they're doing it for a living, there isn't much "fun" to it anymore ... but they sure play good ball.

As far as this site goes, once I get all of the actual building work done, then it will kinda go on auto-pilot, and so it be a lot more fun just posting photos, stories, etc. :D

Jack

wrknapbt
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Interesting. But that is true of everything, is it not?

When we were kids, we used to "play" baseball. In little league, it got more serious, because there was practice and judgments going on. In pro baseball, where they're doing it for a living, there isn't much "fun" to it anymore ... but they sure play good ball.

As far as this site goes, once I get all of the actual building work done, then it will kinda go on auto-pilot, and so it be a lot more fun just posting photos, stories, etc. :D

Jack

Yp that's the reason I like SEC sports. They have fun and the Tide always rolls in.

Officially Retired
04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Enlighten me: what are SEC sports?

wrknapbt
04-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Enlighten me: what are SEC sports?

South East Conferance Alabama Football.

Oh and on the subject of talking dogs I had a chance to sit and listen to a old timer this weekend. IJ he is still a funny old dude.