PDA

View Full Version : Weanning Food for 4 week old puppies

act284
04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I'd like to hear what people are using to wean their pups of the mama at 4 weeks of age.

I saw that Jack suggested Natures Variety Raw/Frozen diet and I think this is great but also a little pricey.

What have others done successfully?

skipper
04-09-2012, 12:58 AM
There are no reasons to wean them on anything else than raw food. If that's what you're going to feed them. Use a good grinder and feed the the same diet as you feed the adults. The milk from mommy gives them the extra fat and nutrients they need as small pups. When you have weaned them of the mother I use extra fat to pups, thats all.

Officially Retired
04-09-2012, 04:13 AM
I use NV in the earliest stages, only because it is already made and processed and doesn't require me chopping bone into tiny fragments with a meat cleaver by hand.

But what Skipper said is true: you can feed the same raw diet I recommend for adults (and if I had a meat grinder that ground bone, I would just do that).

My 9 week old pups right now are eating the same raw diet as my adults, I just chop of the chicken for them; I just don't have to chop the pieces that small anymore.

Jack

skipper
04-09-2012, 05:28 AM
My butcher does the grinding for me. I feed pretty much everything he slaughters (Besides pork). Moose, deer, chicken, beef and so on. To the older dogs I also give whole cow bones, fur and all. Makes them occupied a day at least.

Officially Retired
04-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Makes them occupied a day at least.

And therefore quiet :D

skipper
04-09-2012, 05:33 AM
LOL true.

TFX
04-09-2012, 09:01 AM
These pups I have are 5 weeks yesterday and have been on the NV and Primal raw. They are so active and lively that mama is 100% done with them. They are really thriving, and I would say are a week ahead of things on their activity and coordination level compared to my normal pups in the past on high end kibble. I have seen 8 week olds raised on crappy kibble that aren't near this nice. The raw feed does wonders for them.

act284
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the responses. I was planning on using my raw diet as well since I find NV to be expensive. I just wondered if it was any better than what we would be supplying through our premium raw diet (on a fair budget). I guess it just means I have to spend more time fine chopping. How small/fine are you guys breaking the meat and bones down for this age? I don't have a meat grinder.

Officially Retired
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
These pups I have are 5 weeks yesterday and have been on the NV and Primal raw. They are so active and lively that mama is 100% done with them. They are really thriving, and I would say are a week ahead of things on their activity and coordination level compared to my normal pups in the past on high end kibble. I have seen 8 week olds raised on crappy kibble that aren't near this nice. The raw feed does wonders for them.

Where are the pups old man? Are you getting senile already at your age? :lol:

Officially Retired
04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Thank you for the responses. I was planning on using my raw diet as well since I find NV to be expensive. I just wondered if it was any better than what we would be supplying through our premium raw diet (on a fair budget). I guess it just means I have to spend more time fine chopping. How small/fine are you guys breaking the meat and bones down for this age? I don't have a meat grinder.

You have to cut it pretty small at that age, which is why I don't bother and use NV for a few weeks, until they're old enough to take bigger chunks.

I can't tell you an exact size, I just eyeball it. I look at their little heads, little teeth, and little throats and do the best I can.

If you're using a meat cleaver, and if you have a lot of pups, I can tell you that you will get blisters trying to cut through that much bone every day.

At least a peddler like me does :D

Jack

TFX
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Where are the pups old man? Are you getting senile already at your age? :lol:

I need to get some photos of them for sure. They are a stellar little bunch. This is a first time dam and she did a great job with them, but when she was done she let me and them know it.

skipper
04-09-2012, 09:50 PM

A good thing is to have contact with supermarkets in your area. Have them call you when they have meat past last date. They can't sell it, so they'll probably just throw it away. I've come over lots and lots of ground beef like this, witch are perfect for pups.

No Quarter Kennel
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
What do you guys think about mixing boneless chicken, heart, liver, gizzards, and bone meal, and putting this all through the grinder and then adding the egg, yogurt and oil to it and serving it up that way?

I've never used bone meal, so if I were, how much would I add if wanting to use it for weaning purposes? It says 1 teaspoon, I would think that 2 teaspoons would be sufficient for 4-6 pups.

Ideas?

Officially Retired
04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
What do you guys think about mixing boneless chicken, heart, liver, gizzards, and bone meal, and putting this all through the grinder and then adding the egg, yogurt and oil to it and serving it up that way?
I've never used bone meal, so if I were, how much would I add if wanting to use it for weaning purposes? It says 1 teaspoon, I would think that 2 teaspoons would be sufficient for 4-6 pups.
Ideas?

If you feed raw meat to pups, without bone, they stand a real good chance of getting ricketts.

Always use bone when you feed raw :idea:

act284
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Instead of starting another thread I thought I'd just continue on this one. Hopefully Jack and anyone else can help us out.

We are planning a possible breeding in the next few weeks. My partner and I have been debating the whelping process and how things change if done outdoors. He insists it can be done as successfully outdoors.

We are based in the Los Angeles area. The weather as you may know or hear of is quite amazing, but it does get somewhat chilly at night.

Do you think it is a good option to use above ground pen and wooden dog house? Would you suggest or recommend another heat source? If so, what type would be ideal and how would you set it up?

Officially Retired
04-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Instead of starting another thread I thought I'd just continue on this one. Hopefully Jack and anyone else can help us out.
We are planning a possible breeding in the next few weeks. My partner and I have been debating the whelping process and how things change if done outdoors. He insists it can be done as successfully outdoors.
We are based in the Los Angeles area. The weather as you may know or hear of is quite amazing, but it does get somewhat chilly at night.
Do you think it is a good option to use above ground pen and wooden dog house? Would you suggest or recommend another heat source? If so, what type would be ideal and how would you set it up?

You will not need another heat source at all. But you very much will need a shade source to protect from the direct sunlight :idea:

Keep in mind, if you breed now you won't have the pups till the end of June, so it will be HOT not cold.

You have got to make sure whatever roofing is at least 3' higher than the pups, and that the sun cannot shine directly on the house.

If the mama's in there, there will be no worries about cold at night.

Good luck,

Jack