PDA

View Full Version : great books

scary
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm wanting to further my book collection. What do you all think say the top ten must have books are about game dogs of course.

scary
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Of course i already have the pbb and hollingsworth dogs. :)

Officially Retired
04-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Of course i already have the pbb and hollingsworth dogs. :)

Shame on you if you don't :D

R2L
04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?578-Armitage-Book

SGC
04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Ahhh there are a lot of good old bulldog books out there… I’ll list a few that I’d consider classic books on the breed.

Jack’s books of course, The Pit Bull Bible, and The Hollingsworth Dogs.

Armitage’s Thirty Years with Fighting Dogs which was written in 1935 is still an excellent book, and Hanna’s Memories of the Pit Bull Terrier and His Master from 1926 is also a good read. Joseph Colby wrote The American Pit Bull Terrier in 1936 and I have a link to it on line for free, same with the Glass book The Sporting Bull Terrier from 1910.

Some more modern pit bull books are Bob Stevens’ Dogs of Velvet and Steel, Faron’s Complete Gamedog, Frank Rocca’s 3 books, A Living American Legend, A Legacy in Gameness, and Fighting for Life, all 4 of Richard Stratton’s books, Bobby Hall’s two Bullyson books, Wayne Brown’s History of the Pit Bull Terrier, Crenshaw’s My Life & Times with the American Pit Bull Terrier, to name a few.

Frederic Maffei’s Life of Humbug and Red Tina are excellent novels, and are favorites of mine. DB Plummer’s novel Nathan is also a good read, it’s about a Victorian era pit fighting dog, this book was banned in the US in 1980 when it first came out.

And TL Williams’ books are all excellent, they are a photo record of the breed with many famous dogs shown from the early 1900s up to modern times.

Williams and Stratton worked together on Courage and Pit Dogs, and TL did Braveheart and American Patriot on his own. Many of these books are offered on this web site, the Pit Dogs & Braveheart reprint book is 2 books in one and a good value for $75. –

http://www.apbtbooks.com/Books.html

Gary Hammonds’ book A Half Century with the American Pit Bull Terrier is now in its second printing, it’s a good book, and you can buy it right from the author for $50 shipped and he will sign it for you too –

http://www.catchdogenterprises.com/the-book--dvd.html

I’ve probably left a few out, that’s a quick list off the top of my head. What other books have you all liked?

scary
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Great theses a few u say that i need to get!

SGC
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
There are several pit bull books on line for free. Search google for The Sporting Bull Terrier and Joseph Colby American Pit Bull Terrier and the links should be there.

Another book on line is the Pit Bull Placebo, which I own but have not read, here is the link to the free on line book --

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/publications/ncrc-publications/

Thought I'd post it here since this is a books thread.

gabbagabbahey
04-13-2012, 11:23 AM
The 2x large Zinetti books are an interesting read & gives you an insight on how the bulldog has developed in that part of the world.
The AGDT mags i thought were a good & entertaining read & i see FB has all for sale on cd rom or similar. Works out pretty cheap.
Shame most authors never went for the top end quality in printing materials similar to Hollingsworth Dogs & Strattons. Lot of books have a great cover which is let down as soon as you open it (Dawnrest & Crenshaw to name two). Of course it is what is wrote down that is important & The PBB has to be up there.

prairiedog
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Frederic Maffei’s Life of Humbug and Red Tina are excellent novels, and are favorites of mine.

I agree 100%. I admit I haven't read everything, but I've read plenty, and Maffei is the best writer I've come across. No one has come close to challenging his prose IMO. The problem is his books are so bloody expensive and hard to find. It's a shame more don't get the chance to appreciate his contribution.