PDA

View Full Version : gamebred dogs as pet/confirmation shows ect

R2L
04-11-2012, 07:06 AM
What is your opinions on people buying/selling gamebred dogs as pets or for the purpose of confirmation shows and or sports like wp only

What is with the need of people to have something cool/special and don't use it for the purpose its bred for

And for the breeders, (why)do you (not) select your buyers?

Curious

scratchin dog
04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't see any problem with people buying/selling gamebred dogs for showing or weight pull as it shows our breed in a good light and gives a legal outlet for the dogs. As long as the person buying the dog has some experience with the breed and knows what they are getting themselves into. It takes a very responsible person to own these dogs, they are not poodles. :lol: I wouldn't want to see any Joe Shmo owning a gamebred dog, letting it get loose and into trouble. That's the last thing this breed needs more of.

There's nothing wrong with owning something and not using it for its intended purpose, especially when that purpose is illegal. The vast majority of people who own these dogs will never fight them but still admire the courage of the breed without feeling the need to test it. That can be said of other hobbies as well. There are plenty of people who own fast, expensive cars who never take them out of the garage but still admire the beauty.

R2L
04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Good points, but if you're breeding 2 dogs together with the intension to create fighting dogs wouldn't you rather give some for free to working people instead? I think there are not many serious breeders who intended to sell their dogs to put the breed in a better light. Wouldnt a little milder dogs be better for that? I've seen plenty of mutz who are nothing less for such purposes. Not trying to offend anyone, just listening.

FrostyPaws
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I personally don't agree with selling dogs for pets or conformation animals. Those people buying the animals as pets and/or conformation animals are going to breed them and carry on with that particular cycle. Then you have dogs that are X generations removed from the performance aspect of the breed, and you have the APBT in name only and nothing more.

There are so many problems surrounding these dogs with "normal" breeders. Throw in a good mixture of pet and conformation, and you just have problems mushroom into an even bigger cloud. The only way I would even consider it is to have the dog spayed/neutered before it left here to the new owner's home, thereby eliminating any chance of it reproducing.

Scratchin makes a good point about owning something and not using it for it's intended purpose. That being said, someone could buy another breed and admire it for it's courage and tenacity. Bulldogs aren't the only breed that have those qualities, but they are the top breed when it comes to fighting prowess. They are the only breed with the ability to give their lives as opposed to giving up. You can admire that without owning it.

Officially Retired
04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
The trouble with your view though, R2L, is it seeks to control what other people do. If you personally don't want to see your dogs go in the hands of anyone but a fellow dogman, then you personally can control where your pups go by your own personal selection criteria.

However, when you start to ascribe your own values to other people, and when you expect everyone else to follow "your" belief system, it is my opinion that you have crossed the line a bit. The truth is, these dogs may excel at dog-vs-dog combat, but they also excel at other things too. Another consideration is many people who match dogs treat their dogs like shit. They feed them cheap feed, they put no straw in the house, give them no socialization, nothing. So a lot of times selling a pup to a dogman means guaranteeing that the poor dog doesn't have much of a life.

There is nothing wrong with people showing beautiful pit bulls IMO. No, I do not personally care for it, as "how a dog looks" is subjective (compared to did this dog whip that dog?, which is objective), but for those people who enjoy this, that is their right to do so. Also, if we believe the adage "form follows function," then those people who pay attention to build quality in their (performance) dogs will have a leg-up on those who do not.

In the end, it is as simple as this: you can't control what other people do, so there is no sense worrying about it. Also, for those show people who truly are professional, they display these dogs in a favorable light. The fact of the matter is, if it wasn't for the ADBA and "pet owners" who care, these dogs would be totally outlawed. They're the only ones standing up for the breed at city assemblies and whatnot ... as you sure as hell don't see dogfighters there.

Jack

skipper
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
These dogs are suitable for way more stuff then the box. I have dogs that competes in WP, obedience, protection and so on. I like to see my dogs successful in as many fields as possible. It's not a bad thing for the general population to see that these dogs aren't the monsters media has portrayed them. That they are in fact one of the most smartest and all round breeds out there.

wrknapbt
04-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Okay so as a person who does Schutzhund, PSA, weight pull, conformation, OB, agility and bulldogs. I will say that we need all of those other things because the original charge for these animals have been outlawed thus making it hard at times to keep them in that performance arena. I myself love to walk into a OB ring with a well trained dog of my breed and kick the GSD and the other herder's ass in their sport. I know alot of bulldog folks don't care for some of the book that Stratton put out but one thing he said that I've fund to be true is that my dogs can do the sports of others either just as good or better then they can kick their ass.

Now on the flip side of that I will have people who see us out there and all of a sudden they want to get a APBT to work and I always advise against it. I will be the first to say that this breed is not for everyone. They ask well how do you train ou the dog aggression. Hell I don't train it out. I've never given a correction for dg aggression I've given corrections for not obeying a command. But that is a different subject all the way around.

skip11
11-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread. I agree with Jack and worknapbt here. These dogs excel at a lot more than just the box. Even if you only own them as a pet, you can always compete recreationally in weight pulling, wall climbing, spring pole, treadmill race competitions and so on. Also depending on the line and individual dog, they can be great as housedogs too if you raise em in a house since puppyhood. The only problem I have is if people who don't understand this breed (calling them pibbles) tried to make them golden retrievers.

kid
11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
i agree with a lot said here it gives us a legal outlet for our dogs and is fun for some people and it is good to have them but if you keep breeding just for show like all breeds of working dogs that have been breed for show dogs they will loose there working ability and not be game dogs but show dogs eventually but if you look at the akc working dog that are show dogs and have a blood line of show dogs that probably does not perform the working tasks as well or at all you can still find working dogs from the same breed of dog but from a working line that does.

MISTER
11-17-2016, 03:45 PM
I personally have given pups to people in pet homes. Both are excelling at being an ambassador to the breed. They're model citizens in the public eye. One went to a single young lady who lives alone who don't care about breeding or anything of the such. She simply wanted a companion nothing more. Another went to a nice young family whom enjoy having their little bundle of joy. These dogs are more than combat dogs. If these dogs aren't in combat then they're all over their owners wanting to play and be loved on. I'll seek out another well deserved home for one of my pups with the next litter I have.

I'll be sending a very nice young dog up to a friend to be shown as well, he'll get experience in different sights,sounds, and smells so none of this will be new to him when the time comes for him to embark on his path.

brokeback
11-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Good post, Mister.

IMHO, I would rather a dog be in a working home than not BUUUUUUUT the majority of 'working homes' don't take care of their dogs as good as a 'show or pet home' and I like to know the animals are well cared for so I can see why people would want some of their dogs with those people. To me, the most important thing is the dog is well cared for. And when I say well cared for, I mean not left on the chain all day, every day and just tossed some food at sunset.

MISTER
11-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Man my friends that got one of the pups I mentioned sent me a photo last night of the lil fella, he had a Christmas sweater on it was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. He's happy tho and I'm happy. They didn't care to know his breeding they just wanted a puppy so before they bought one of them inbred pos so called pure bred I gave them one of mine free and he's doing his job, making his new family happy.

Another reason I do give pups to pet homes is because if something happens (god forbid it does) but if do happen I can always tap back into the source I'm running. The only stipulation I give is don't neuter the animal.

brokeback
11-19-2016, 05:23 PM
LOL , funny about the christmas sweater HAHA. I hear you on stashing some in safe places. Smart move.