PDA

View Full Version : Cable run or chain setup

carverbreed
12-24-2011, 09:57 AM
What's better for your dog and what's the advantages. Runner cable or chain setup

Officially Retired
12-24-2011, 10:20 AM
What's better for your dog and what's the advantages. Runner cable or chain setup

I have an 80-page chapter in my book on kennel setups and the advantages/disadvantages on each, where to get the best materials, etc., which obviously I can't include here on a post :mrgreen:

However, that said, every type of kenneling system (kennels, pens, chains, cables) has its own assets & liabilities, and therefore involves some kind of trade-off in implementing versus another kind of system. Overwhelmingly, the advantages in most cases go with a proper chain setup (least expensive, strongest, portable, etc.), which is why 99% of dogmen implement a chain setup.

Cable runs offer the potential for more room on a huge yard, but they're more expensive to implement, take-up more room to implement, and are NOT as secure as a chain-and-axle set up. The pulleys, clamps, etc. on cable runs offer failure points and as such must be observed with great care, lest an accident happen.

Jack

ZeroCool
12-25-2011, 02:57 AM
chain setup because it will give me a peace of mind - more secure.

Dre21
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
IMO, you can't beat a PROPER chain set-up, one with the axle beneath the ground of course.

Ipk
01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Chains are way easier to maintain, I have two zip lines that I rarely use (usually young dogs get to run on them) don't trust them with the older dogs. I do have a hog panel kennel I love, but comparing chain areas to kennels is like comparing addition to quadratic equations. (just my personal opinion)

Dre21
01-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Chains are way easier to maintain, I have two zip lines that I rarely use (usually young dogs get to run on them) don't trust them with the older dogs. I do have a hog panel kennel I love, but comparing chain areas to kennels is like comparing addition to quadratic equations. (just my personal opinion)
Could you post a pic of the hog panel kennel that you have IpK? I'm going to try my hand at one here soon. If you can't, that's cool!

Ipk
01-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Could you post a pic of the hog panel kennel that you have IpK? I'm going to try my hand at one here soon. If you can't, that's cool!

I will take a pic of it and post it when I hit a computer.

ChainGangBulldogs
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM

I have an 80-page chapter in my book on kennel setups and the advantages/disadvantages on each, where to get the best materials, etc., which obviously I can't include here on a post :mrgreen:

However, that said, every type of kenneling system (kennels, pens, chains, cables) has its own assets & liabilities, and therefore involves some kind of trade-off in implementing versus another kind of system. Overwhelmingly, the advantages in most cases go with a proper chain setup (least expensive, strongest, portable, etc.), which is why 99% of dogmen implement a chain setup.

Cable runs offer the potential for more room on a huge yard, but they're more expensive to implement, take-up more room to implement, and are NOT as secure as a chain-and-axle set up. The pulleys, clamps, etc. on cable runs offer failure points and as such must be observed with great care, lest an accident happen.

Jack

Jack has the best explanation on how to have the correct chain set-up. They will keep you accident free. Haven't had a yard accident in years.

ChainGangBulldogs

Officially Retired
01-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Glad to hear it! :D

No Quarter Kennel
04-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I've seen two types of kennel runs. Overhead and on the ground. i don't like either. Here in Texas, I know several people who have lost dogs to lightening when it hit the trees or whatever else was used for the overhead kennels. Another downside of having overhead cable runs on trees, is it can kill your trees.

There is nothing more superior than a good chain setup.

skipper
04-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Due to crappy laws I need to have my dogs in kennels. I have pretty big ones (close to 200 square foot per kennel) I have a couple of cable runs where I can have my house dogs a couple of hours a day. They are 20 meters in length and perfect for a dog who wants to run of some steam. For a permanent setup I would go with long ass chains if I could.

projectx
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I will be using the overhead cable runs , as i feel they give more freedom for the dog , and as long as its done well using good QUALITY cable and chains /pulley and swivels etc , and you keep an eye on the setup there should be no problems .
The thing i dont like about chain and axle setups is that the dog is not moving as naturally on it compared to a cable and also many people still think they need a chain and swivel /hardware to keep an elephant when they use a chain setup which is way to big and heavy, and the dog is dragging around to much weight .The dog should feel as free as possible and also the chain can cause more injurys as the dog will hit the end of the chain and of course their is no give and they jar there neck everytime , unlike a cable which is more firendly to the dog and the chain used on a cable setup is just a good QUALITY lightweight chain which allows the dog to feel freedom of movement.It would be nice to see sme fotos of yards with cable setups ,and how they have put theirs toggether .

OGDOGG
02-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Interesting theory. I have both set ups and I noticed the cable setup is the one doing the damage to a couple of my high strung dog's neck. While the chain does no damage at all. I do agree that dogs being on the cable run has more freedom. I usually keep the annoying, barking dogs on the cable and they seem to bark less when on there.

skipper
02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/zobbe/IMG_0347_zpsb937ad1a.jpg

25 meter cable run i use to have. Wish i could have em all like that.

Officially Retired
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
I've seen two types of kennel runs. Overhead and on the ground. i don't like either. Here in Texas, I know several people who have lost dogs to lightening when it hit the trees or whatever else was used for the overhead kennels. Another downside of having overhead cable runs on trees, is it can kill your trees.
There is nothing more superior than a good chain setup.

I agree.

No doubt cable runs give the dog more freedom, but they are not as secure as a good chain setup.

Jack

CRISIS
02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
i wouldnt use a pulley on a cable run.......chain >quick link > o ring > a thick cable run........

TFX
02-27-2013, 05:45 AM
The thing i dont like about chain and axle setups is that the dog is not moving as naturally on it compared to a cable and also many people still think they need a chain and swivel /hardware to keep an elephant when they use a chain setup which is way to big and heavy, and the dog is dragging around to much weight ..

This part I agree with. I use much lighter chain than most dogmen, partly because I have 20' chains. Even with shorter chain setups though, I just can't see using heaving "tow chain" stock. With thinner chain however, it definitely wears quicker. Every 5-6 years it needs to be replaced.

CRISIS
02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
what about a thick grade cable instead of chain?? who uses em?? and im not talking the kind with the quicksnaps u get at a petstore, i mean a legit made one from home depot with a good swivel and lap link?

TFX
02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
No, that won't work well. The chain folds up nicely when there is slack, a cable does some very weird twists and tangles. You'll have a ball of steel rat's nest in no time.

bianchi
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
is there anything on that cable to stop the dog short of the tree to prevent him getting tangled around the tree and stuck ?? if so what did you use ?

skipper
02-27-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't know the english word for it. But its called cable lock over here. A little thing u put on the cable were you want it to stop.

tasoschatz
02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I do not know for sure either, but maby they call it "stop" ? lol

skipper
02-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Sounds about right :)

TFX
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
is there anything on that cable to stop the dog short of the tree to prevent him getting tangled around the tree and stuck ?? if so what did you use ?

This is why a ground cable is a better deal in my estimation, the dog can go past the anchoring point without any concerns.

S_B
07-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Some pretty cool pulleys for those who do use above ground cable runs.

https://www.rescueresponse.com/c/hardware/rope-pulleys/

SGC
07-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Wow, those look pretty nice.

I would guess that since they are using them to rescue people, that they would be very strong but a running pulling bulldog day in and day out... I wonder how those would wear?

Good find!

lansford101
08-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Good chain set up with axle is the best

Black Hand
08-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Depends how long your cable run is...
If it's a great big space then I would prefer a cable set up.