PDA

View Full Version : question for the board

turkd3000
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
if you had a chance to get a pup from a guy who you would consider a legend for 1k without papers.would you get it?

Officially Retired
04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
What do you mean by "a legend?" Do you mean the dog itself or the man who has the dog?

turkd3000
04-18-2012, 06:08 PM
the man with the dog

Officially Retired
04-18-2012, 06:29 PM
To me, a man's "legendary" status isn't as important as his honesty.

I have been burned but some 'legends,' and I have gotten great dogs from nobodies. Toward the end of my buying career, I only bought dogs that I legitimately knew how they were bred, not because someone "told me" how they were bred. The dogs I would buy today would only be of my own breedings, that I know for 100% certainty how they're bred and what to expect.

At this point, most people couldn't give me one of their dogs, let alone me pay $1000 for it, but if I really liked a particular dog and I also like its ped (and if I had the depth of knowledge to be sure that's how it was bred), I wouldn't sweat the papers. If I didn't have personal knowledge of the breeding behind the dog, then I would have to knew the man well enough to know he was a straight shooter.

So, again, some "legend" that I don't personally know couldn't give me a dog. However, if I knew him, and trusted him, and he had a real nice dog with no papers that I really wanted, I wouldn't care about the papers. The papers are only as good as the man's word anyway, so I have to trust "that word" above all else.

Jack

turkd3000
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
i feel ya,makes sense to me.thanks

Officially Retired
04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
;)

R2L
04-19-2012, 12:56 AM
do you consider an online pedigree as papers? thats enough for me, never ask for papers

Officially Retired
04-19-2012, 04:10 AM
do you consider an online pedigree as papers? thats enough for me, never ask for papers

I consider actual knowledge of 1) the abilities of the individual dogs in the ancestry, and how they were actually bred, to be a real "working pedigree," and the rest to be (at best) imagination.

Jack

R2L
04-19-2012, 06:17 AM
i misunderstood the question. i think it is, would u buy a dog if you dont know how its bred??
only an adult if i know what he's capable of but i like to raise all my dogs myself so no :D
but papers as in registration on a piece of paper, no need for that imo.