PDA

View Full Version : Good Pickin's

Oregonbulldog
04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm going to pick a pup up, I was wondering how you all pick out of the litter, if anyone has some pointers they could share. Thanks.

Nash
04-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I've always picked my favorites to what you can see from the pup. Many say a pup changes so much the first year of his live, but as far as looks go, i have found i've always been on point conformation wise. When you get to see the pups and one shows to have a long or short mussle compared to the others, best believe you will see the same when they mature. Too wide a chest, etc. All that i believe you can pretty much see in a pup. As far as behaviour goes, that's up to good breedings and the traits of the parents and other family. Just my opinion.

R2L
04-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Check out this thread

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?803-Jack-What-do-you-look-for

Officially Retired
04-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Thank you very much, R2L, I was just about to look for this post!

Very helpful, thanks again :)

No Quarter Kennel
04-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I look for a "Look" first. I like the pup that sees the cat like all the others in the litter, but don't go nuts like the rest, but don't act scare or stupid either. I like a confident acting pup.

I look for structure and movement.

After this, I'll look for dogs that possess the traits of that family, if I know them.

Last, I'll consider color.

As I go down the list, I'll use the next to break the ties of the previous. If that makes sense.

I picked my Amos dog this way. He was a pure Tonka Red Baron dog. His entire litter was reds and blacks. Most of the TRB dogs I knew of that were great were typically more solid in color. I picked out a solid red, black nose dog with great structure and attitude. There was one more solid than not, red bitch as well. Very similar to him. They were the two best dogs from that litter. It's one of the few times the color really panned out for me.

If I had any advice though, I would go with structure and movement first. Great place to start knowing nothing else.

skipper
04-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Besides all the obvious such as health, movement, mentality aso. I keep the ones i think resembles the blood I have. For example. If I want dogs like the sire I pick the ones I think resembles the sire most when he was a pup. Or if it's a repeat breeding I'll keep the ones that resembles the best ones from the last litter the most. I also try to keep as many as possible from a litter as long as possible. If I would buy a pup from a breeder his word weighs the most. As I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder that haven't a good knowledge of his dogs. If I for example would buy a pup from Jack, his word and his knowledge would weigh in the most, as nobody knows his dogs better than he does.

Officially Retired
04-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Besides all the obvious such as health, movement, mentality aso. I keep the ones i think resembles the blood I have. For example. If I want dogs like the sire I pick the ones I think resembles the sire most when he was a pup. Or if it's a repeat breeding I'll keep the ones that resembles the best ones from the last litter the most. I also try to keep as many as possible from a litter as long as possible. If I would buy a pup from a breeder his word weighs the most. As I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder that haven't a good knowledge of his dogs. If I for example would buy a pup from Jack, his word and his knowledge would weigh in the most, as nobody knows his dogs better than he does.

Thank you for the kind words, and in general I totally agree with what you're saying: the breeder (if he is successful) knows his own dogs better than anyone. I have always listened to the breeders who came before me to find out which breeding combinations tend to do what that they (as breeders) had a hand in creating. The breeder will always have the greatest overall perspective. By contrast, most people who have dogs from a breeder only know their own dogs; they do not have a full perspective on the breeder's line in general, nor in the propensities of what to expect from each of the breeder's genetic combinations that they (as buyers) have not seen.

However, I would also like to make a comment on something you said for your consideration: like you, I always tended to pick Poncho dogs that looked like Poncho (or Missy), especially if they behaved that way (movement, look in the eyes, etc.). One thing to keep in mind, though, is sometimes a breeding combination might produce a better dog than what you had before ... who also looks different :idea:

An example would be Silverback. His daddy Ouch was a really good, solid, game oldschool bulldog. Missy was an absolutely fantastic bitch, even better than Ouch in some respects (mouth), but neither Missy nor Ouch was a true finisher. Silverback came from both of these dogs, was more athletic than either one, was colored differently, and (most importantly) while he did not have the devastating mouth of his mother, he came with true finish that neither of his parents had.

Silverback also carried with him his own "persona." Personality-wise, he is neither like Ouch nor like Missy. Ouch and Missy were both happy-go-lucky doggies. Silverback has an "edge" to him. He is a friendly dog, but you can just tell there is an element of danger with him that is very real.

Therefore, while it is good to select your pups based on their conformity to your standard, it is also worthy to keep in mind that life may throw you a curveball (and a good one!) and present you with something "different" from what you're used to, that may well be a cut above :idea:

Jack

skipper
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Therefore, while it is good to select your pups based on their conformity to your standard, it is also worthy to keep in mind that life may throw you a curveball (and a good one!) and present you with something "different" from what you're used to, that may well be a cut above :idea:

Jack

Well put. This is why I like to keep as many as possible for as long as possible. Sometimes there are pups that looks and acts nothing like what you expected from the litter. I have had pups that where shy and you barley noticed amongst the others. That I thought to myself, this pups will only be suitable for a pet home. To Later bloom out and be one of the best in the litter. Some dogs you just know from the day they are born, that this is one is a keeper. If you have patience, others can give you a pleasant surprise. There are no absolutes in these dogs, and that is what makes it so inspiring. However in general I use the things mentioned in my earlier post.