PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on Chain

No Quarter Kennel
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Went to TSC for some cedar shavings. Just had a litter of pups and needed some good bedding for the little guys. So naturally, I go check out the chain and hardware section. I don't understand why the tow chain of 20 feet, 5/16, with 2 tow hooks on it is cheaper per foot than the 1/4" chain, same grade - 70. So this guy asks if he can help. Turns out, we just shoot the shit about chain. He ask me what I want it for. I tell him, "Dogs". He says...."Ah, some pits huh?" Well it turns out he's a big bulldog fan. Long story short, I went in to buy cedar shavings and came away with that and 65' of 70grade cargo chain at 2.48 a foot. Not a bad deal.

Bulldog people are a fraternity that seems to want to help each other. From building websites and writing books (thanks Jack) to offering great deals on chains to simply helping each other out with feeding when out of town. We all know the knuckleheads that our dogs attract, but the ones who are in these dogs that do so much for them typically become compelled to do so out of what the dogs deserve and how they convey that message to us, the owners.

Not another breed like it.

Officially Retired
04-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Sorry to say, that isn't much of a deal.

I used to get Grade 40 Transport Chain for about $0.98/ft ... and Grade 70 for about $1.48/ft.

You might want to contact Laclede Chain (http://www.lacledechain.com/hardware/transport) and see what they sell it for ... but it's usually by the bucket.

Jack

No Quarter Kennel
04-29-2012, 03:00 PM
DAMN IT TO HELL! FOILED AGAIN!

Well, that's what I get for ASS U ME ing. I assumed the freight on chain would offset the price to at least this or more. Guess not.

Oh well. The dude knocking off a dollar per foot simply b/c I was a Bulldog person was very cool on his part anyways.

Officially Retired
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
In Nashville, there used to be a wholesale hardware warehouse who serviced all the retail hardware stores in the greater Nashville area. This wholesaler is where I got my deals from.

Anytime you buy retail, the guy has to jack-up the price to make a profit, so if you can figure out a way around the retailer, naturally that will be your savings.

I am not sure how much of a deal Laclede would be after shipping costs (factoring in the weight of chain), but it might still be a bargain.

SteelyDan
01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
I ordered about 500' of chain a bit ago from tulsachain.com and they cut it to size for me, boxed it up in under 70lb packages for me, and payed almost all the shipping costs. If your buying a lot of chain you might want to check them out also.