PDA

View Full Version : feeding raw am i doin it right

Abe
05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
First time feeding raw am i doin it right ? Ive read the book 3 times read dam near every thread on here just reassuring myself.

I'm feeding the Blue ridge puppy mix " ground beef,chicken, tripe, beef heart, liver ground chicken bone "
http://www.blueridgebeef.com/products-mix.html
I add
2 oz of yougurt
2 oz of veg grind
2 oz half a multi vitamin ground
1 oz of salmon oil
soft boiled egg
Total wieght feed is 20% of 12 week old pup
At what age should I stop feeding puppy mix and go to adult raw food.

All guidance is helpful and im thankful.

Officially Retired
05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
First time feeding raw am i doin it right ? Ive read the book 3 times read dam near every thread on here just reassuring myself.

I'm feeding the Blue ridge puppy mix " ground beef,chicken, tripe, beef heart, liver ground chicken bone "
I add
2 oz of yougurt
2 oz of veg grind
2 oz half a multi vitamin ground
1 oz of salmon oil
soft boiled egg
Total wieght feed is 20% of 12 week old pup
At what age should I stop feeding puppy mix and go to adult raw food.

All guidance is helpful and im thankful.

That looks fanTAstic :D

SGC
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes, I agree, that looks excellent!

I am also feeding the Blue Ridge Beef frozen raw food, and I am impressed with the quality of it.

Do you know what the percentage of bone is in the Puppy Mix?

I emailed the company and asked them about their Chicken and Venison grinds with bone and they told me the bone ratio in those is 10%. So I wonder if they have more bone in the Puppy Mix? I am feeding an old dog but I like what's in the Puppy Mix so might try one of those next time I am up there.

They also said they get the venison from a deer farm there in NC, and the chicken is also from a local farm.

How much are you paying for a 2 pound chub of the food? It was $2.55 when I first bought it and now is at $2.70. Still a good value and I am happy to get it. :D

Officially Retired
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
That really is a hulluva deal, $1.35/lb already ground and proportioned-out for you.

R2L
05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
interesting, the first puppy edition i see which has less protein instead of more

i personally never give any special food for pups. just the same grind raw as i gave adults, but more and more often

Abe
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Lil shit I gave her a chicken wing just to see if she could handle it and now she won't eat the grind!!! Dam her. I just wanted to see her shred thru some bone lol back fired on me to say the least ! Dam

scratchin dog
05-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Lil shit I gave her a chicken wing just to see if she could handle it and now she won't eat the grind!!! Dam her. I just wanted to see her shred thru some bone lol back fired on me to say the least ! Dam

Its not really a backfire lol...a 12 wk old pup can handle wing, thigh or back bones and they are better off. It works great when they are teething cause it helps get the baby teeth out. :)

Abe
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Got 3 days left of ground then she is gettin whole chicken with ground organs n tripe

wrknapbt
06-07-2012, 03:39 AM
So I had a buddy ask me this morning what I did I feed for veggies. Here it is. It makes feeding so easy. There is no excuse for feeding your dog kibble when stuff like this is on the market.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/

Abe
06-11-2012, 08:56 AM
so ive cjanged this up abit got rid of the puppy mix and started whole chickens and adding 3 oz per meal of the naturals mix in the link.
Their stool isnt as firm as id like it to be and green should i cut back on naturals mix and what is everyones feelings about adding in the mix period. Thanks again for all the great input and help.

skipper
06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
In my experience mixes like that can be a bit high on the liver content. That could explain the looser stool. Or it might just be a transition period.