PDA

View Full Version : Repeat breedings

skipper
05-20-2012, 03:20 AM
How do you guys look at this matter? How good of a litter do you need to consider doing a repeat breeding. One ace? Or perhaps an all game litter? Personally I prefer to do a repeat breeding if the last breeding produced good dogs in every (or atleast a very high% of them) pups in the previous litter. I'd like to see what you guys think of this. We just repeated this breeding http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=373321 In the last litter we got some very solid dogs. And hand to heart they were all breeding worthy. I know in history some repeat breedings produced great in the first litter and close to nothing in the second. Any thoughts on this?

Officially Retired
05-20-2012, 04:00 AM
How do you guys look at this matter? How good of a litter do you need to consider doing a repeat breeding. One ace? Or perhaps an all game litter? Personally I prefer to do a repeat breeding if the last breeding produced good dogs in every (or atleast a very high% of them) pups in the previous litter. I'd like to see what you guys think of this. We just repeated this breeding http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=373321 In the last litter we got some very solid dogs. And hand to heart they were all breeding worthy. I know in history some repeat breedings produced great in the first litter and close to nothing in the second. Any thoughts on this?

I personally have bred Silverback to Dirty Hammer every time Dirty Hammer has come into heat. Ability-wise, Dirty Hammer is a below-average bitch, and took after the "game plug" abilities of her bottom-side ... and yet, when bred back to Silverback, her pups have been dynamic, finishing powerhouse machines!

Sadly, no one can seem to keep their dogs alive (4 of these dogs have been stolen, 3 have been put down in raids, etc.), so I keep feeling the need to "make more" of them. Since this breeding is THE tightest inbreeding I have ever done, AND has always produced extremely-smart, extremely-intense, dynamic little dogs ... where ALL of them (that have been tried) have been spectacular performers ... I can't see any reason to breed DH any other way.

So I can't see any reason to breed Dirty Hammer to any other stud besides her father, when 1) the pups have been universally-excellent, 2) the breeding preserves my key stud Silverback, and 3) it likewise preserves Ch Hammer at 50% ... and it does all of these things in a high-performance fashion.

Maybe when Silverback is gone, I will breed Dirty Hammer back to another son of Silverback (probably Beowulf), but although I will be skipping this next heat of hers (to give her a much-needed break), my overall feeling is, "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it," as the saying goes :D

In fact, every Silverback daughter I have (or have access to) will be getting bred to Silverback until he dies. He takes even average-ability daughters of his and dramatically-improves the finish/ability in their pups, and we are going to be breeding some high-ability daughters of his back to him very soon.

Jack

skipper
05-20-2012, 04:19 AM
"If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it," Couldn't agree more. The litter who produced Fez and kelso (and several other good dogs) is exactly what we look for in our dogs. Therefore we see no reason not to do it again. We bred him back to his daughter Donna, who's a clone of her sire both in performance and looks. To preserve the line and double up on the great Gorm. We have a couple of inbred young females bred like this http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=367585 that we plan to breed to both to Gorm and the double bred sons of Gorm(when he's no longer around). Just to keep thiscross that we like so much going.

widerange
06-01-2012, 11:46 PM
i like the "if it ain't broke dont fix it" answer. when i read this what question came to mind for me is what do you have to get out of a litter to consider it a high percentage litter? some may believe that one ACE out of a litter of 5 makes it worth doing again, some may need 5 out of 5 to be just game-plugs to feel its worth doing over. im low on chain spots right now so for me to consider doing a rebreeding i would need more then one ACE out the last litter. jmo

No Quarter Kennel
06-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Lots to consider, but I think the AVERAGE of the litter is important to consider.