PDA

View Full Version : C-Section/Spay aftercare

FrostyPaws
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
I had to take a female in for an emergency C-Section yesterday. The entire litter that was being carried had died, and the female was very sick due to all this nonsense. She ended up having to be spayed as the uterus was gray/black color due to circulation loss. Without that, one of my favorite bitches would be dead today.

Given all that has happened to her, are there any tips on how to care for her aside from the normal things as in give medication, maintain cleanliness, etc? She had 2 bags of LR yesterday, and we ran another in her today to help with the clearing out of the toxins within her body. Her urine is a nice, yellow color and clear otherwise. I just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered as I don't think she's completely out of the woods yet.

Thanks

Officially Retired
05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
I understand your plight, as Dirty Hammer almost had the same thing happen to her, but fortunately she did not lose her uterus--but she too was sick with a uterus infection while pregnant and needed a c-section.

My vet prescribed Clavamox and metronidazole and it cleared up, and it sounds to me like you're doing everything you can, especially with the addition of LR which can only aid in hydration (although simple saline might be the better choice).

Additionally, I am a firm believer that adding a horn of garlic (freshly-blended in a cup of water) to the feed will only help combat any overall malaise in a dog.

Jack

FrostyPaws
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
It was all for naught. My bitch passed away this afternoon.

It's times like this it makes me wonder why I even bother............

Officially Retired
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Damn, I am sorry to hear that.

It sounds like you did everything any reasonable person could possibly do, so I certainly wouldn't blame yourself.

Jack

FrostyPaws
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't blame myself, but you know how it is. You wrap yourself up in dogs for decades, and you do all the right things, or at least try to, and then this happens, and it about sucks the life out of you. She wasn't just a dog, she was MY dog.

Oh well, I'm pulling a CA Jack tonight with drink in hand! :)

Officially Retired
05-22-2012, 06:54 PM
LOL, just so you know, I quit drinking :D

But yes, we all have been down that road ... and, no matter how many times it happens, it does take the "will to continue" out of you for a minute.

But, as old Archie Moore once said to a newsman, after he came back from 8 knockdowns to beat Yvonne Durell, HOW he was able to continue, he said, "I had to be able to go home and look my bulldog in the eye."

Jack

R2L
05-23-2012, 02:48 AM
sry for your loss...

Nash
05-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Sorry for your loss.

skipper
05-23-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. It's extra sad when they go like this.

Abe
05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
So sorry brother !

FrostyPaws
05-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks good peoples....