Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great dog with no papers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great dog with no papers

Just curious..... If you had a great dog that did great in competiton for you more than once, but had no papers... what would you do with the dog. :?: :?:

"Please do not pass any negitive judgment on myself, i just wanted people honest opinion for a topic to just have " just a General Bulldog Chat

Bump up for 2020...

Interesting thread.

if I were to have a great one but had no idea how it was bred I would still take a top female to him, cull hard and if anything worked out take one of his offspring back to him and go from there...

If he didn't produce anything of note in said litter then I probably wouldn't breed him again but would make sure he had a comfortable home for the rest of his days.

If I had the extra land maybe with a female, to my best producing male.. get the best female that pulled from him, then go back into her.. hope for the best like with every litter..
    Sometimes good dogs just come into your life..

Are we talking unknown ped?
    If I know how the dog is bred and what’s behind it is solid absolutely I would bred it.
    No paperwork necessary.

Completely unknown, no I wouldn’t.
    Be just my luck this great dog came from a litter of curs or substandard dogs and that’s what you’ll most likely get breeding it.

Probably the most famous male dog of my time was Bass'(Wilbur Martin's Red Boy. Was not, that the dog did not have a set of papers. Just that the sire was incorrect. After EWO explained what Mr. Pulley and others of that time knew of the Stidham influence along with Lonzo Pratt's Andy-Dibo breeding. Not to mention that Chavis later reintroduced some more tight Lonzo Pratt's breeding with more Red Boy breeding into the Jocko line. The Rast's Queenie bitch was from Mr. Cable and had Stidham- Williams- Dibo descended dogs.

Once I did some test breeding on this site to some of those dogs and looked at the 14th generation. I saw why that this basically three way cross of Cable- Stidham, V.J.'s Hank- Jim Williams, Corvino-Dibo and Lonzo'-Dibo-Williams dogs made a great nick. IMHO, it was V.J.'s Hank dog that was the catalyst that brought it all together and gave those dogs that hybrid vigor and ruggedness.

Most of those dogs especially the last dogs Mr. Gainey had. Looked like the old Jim Williams dogs. Big boned rugged dogs, being bigger pound for pound than most of their opponents.
    Last edited by CYJ; 11-11-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Ditto Ceasar. Why today you see so many breeding's that are flopping. Then there is one that nicks and the whole litter are very good to great dogs. Then instead of that person making this breeding as much as possible. Start adding another super stud etc. into the successful breeding of the original sire and dam. Nine out of ten times nothing clicks.

There is a pedigree on here that I entered of a bitch dog's pedigree that was bred to one of the V.J.'s later bloodlines. Was one of those hot nicks that throwed some good dogs. Looking at the first five generations. This female appeared to be scattered bred. Went to the 14th generation showed this dog to be around three quarter's red/ red nose Hemphill- Corvino-Red Devil and a quarter Tudor's Dibo.

I asked this fellow how many times did they repeat the breeding. Answer was only that time. Guy got busted and this bitch dog died on the chain behind a hog pen from lack of water and feed.

So pedigrees are sometimes not every thing unless you and the breeder know the right breeding. Chose to keep it private. Those who have good dogs with a correct pedigree, at least up to the fourth generation. Have a better chance of keeping a good bloodline going. Cheers
    Last edited by CYJ; 11-14-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Agreed CYJ

Man I hate these stories of dogs dying on the chain due to lack of feed, water or shelter
    Good dogs or not gives me a real bad case of the Red Ass.

We had a few very good dogs that we kept in the 70's..We bred them to.dogs without papers, but never to our other dogs.

Pass. Find something that works with what I'm doing. Scatterbred dogs waste of feed in the long run.