Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Treadmill Question

What's the max time you should have your dog on a treadmill?

That all really depends on your hound IMO

I have heard some say no more than 20 mi, but if your training a dog to go the distance wouldn't an hour be better?

Like i said it just depends. When u say treadmill do u mean like a electric mill? If so i think there's far better ways for the dog and alot more time constructive. A good rule of thumb is to watch his tongue never work him/her till it's hanging out the SIDE of his mouth. The front is ok.

The best way to treadmill is windsprint-rest-windsprint-rest.

The best thing to look at is not the clock on the wall, but the speed/condition of your dog.

In other words, 40 minutes of half-ass trotting with a mildly-tired dog is not as good for his condition as five 4-minute, all-out bursts of running that makes his tongue hang out to his elbows.

Interval training, that make sense....
    A 4-5 minute sprint and working on getting the recovery time down. Just like a person..
    How about a heart monitor? Does anyone know what heart rate a dog trains at?

R2L
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonbulldog View Post
    Interval training, that make sense....
    A 4-5 minute sprint and working on getting the recovery time down. Just like a person..
    How about a heart monitor? Does anyone know what heart rate a dog trains at?
    http://www.freewebs.com/originalbloo...0Lemm%20Jr.htm

The higher the prey drive the sooner they finish their workouts. The lower the prey drive the longer it takes them to reach maximun stress. My high prey drive dogs usually takes 20-30 minutes each workout. Lower prey drive usually takes 50-60 minutes. And no prey drive, work them twice a day, 30 minutes in the morning, up to 2 hours evening.