Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Jenny?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why the Jenny?

I have noticed that many say that the Jenny is the best piece of equipment for conditioning a dog. To those have used a Jenny I ask, personally why do you consider the jenny the best equipment for conditioning?

I don't know that the jenny is my "best" or favorite piece of training equipment, but I have had a few jennys over the years that I conditioned dogs. The dog runs a much more natural gait on a jenny than on a treadmill. I could also blend resistance work simultaneously with my sprint and pacing work on my jenny by dropping a drag chain.

My best piece of training equipment was always a pickup truck and a nice smooth dirt road. The best roads of all were the packed sand in the vineyards, but any dirt road will do. I have had cops roll up on me a few times while conditioning bulldogs in this manner and other than wondering what I was doing late at night in a field, I never got hassled about working the dog. My pat excuse was that I had a blown out knee and this was the only way to work my dog as hard as I did when I ran with him before, but I never had to use it.

Haha. Nice excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by TFX View Post
    I don't know that the jenny is my "best" or favorite piece of training equipment, but I have had a few jennys over the years that I conditioned dogs. The dog runs a much more natural gait on a jenny than on a treadmill. I could also blend resistance work simultaneously with my sprint and pacing work on my jenny by dropping a drag chain.

My best piece of training equipment was always a pickup truck and a nice smooth dirt road. The best roads of all were the packed sand in the vineyards, but any dirt road will do. I have had cops roll up on me a few times while conditioning bulldogs in this manner and other than wondering what I was doing late at night in a field, I never got hassled about working the dog. My pat excuse was that I had a blown out knee and this was the only way to work my dog as hard as I did when I ran with him before, but I never had to use it.

I even had a jenny setup out in the back of my work once upon a time at the end of a railhead, where I also kept a couple of dogs to condition.

hey TFX have you ever been up to sand creek rd. up in arbuckle??? i found it on google earth, looks like a great place to work dogs in that manner.......i wouldnt mind the hour 1/2 trip to try it out! lol

Quote Originally Posted by CRISIS View Post
    hey TFX have you ever been up to sand creek rd. up in arbuckle??? i found it on google earth, looks like a great place to work dogs in that manner.......i wouldnt mind the hour 1/2 trip to try it out! lol
    Never been there, but Arbuckle is only about 45 minutes from your grandpa's place.

Quote Originally Posted by TFX View Post
    Never been there, but Arbuckle is only about 45 minutes from your grandpa's place.
    oh...i didnt realize it was that close........thats my new house i was tellin you about...

i got a question i've always been around guys that use a mill. i would like to know what kind of prepping to the ground do you have to do before use even put your hound on a jenny for exercising.

I can tell you why the jenny is my favorite piece of equipment. My dogs simply work harder on the jenny than a mill. They get more of a workout running the jenny how they want than they ever could with me trying to coax them into working the mill how I like. It's safer for me to work them on the jenny than roadwork.

I've never had a dog that could work the mill with the same intensity and pace as they can the jenny.

Ok, do ya put any type of resistance other than a chain. I've seen some where the wooked up a house door side ways and another that had a tarp I guess for wind resistance once the dog runs.

FrostyPaws, how do you get your dogs to run the jenny better than a mill, curious because I've heard some say the contrary of what you just said, that it's hard to get a dog to run all out in a jenny compared to a mill. I have no experience with either a mill or a jenny.