Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: busted tale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

busted tale

i have a dog that just brakes his tale open all the time iv tried every thing from blood stop powder to antibiotic ointment new stock try superglue vet bond and it just gets worse. does anyone have any ideas on what to do? does it really take away from the dogs balance if you cut the tale?

Add water to that dog's feed. What I've noticed is a dehydrated dog will bust their tail much like when we have dry skin it cracks. This has solved the issue for me. I used to always have busted tail dogs, especially in winter, it is no longer an issue for me.

S_B

Ditto on the hydration. That usually fixes the tail issues.

EWO

i have to do that with him he chokes if i don't, maybe ill put some pedialyte in there or something he's wet too his skin poops right back. but what r your thoughts on a dog with out a tale do they loose there balance? this one is young and i can take him to the vet and i will on monday being its driving me crazy iv seen one with no tale and it didn't bother him one bit.

Kid,

He's your dog do what you got to do, I've seen some dogs act freaky AF after chewing their tail off, so I imagine it's possible yours could develop a mental issue from removing it if he's grown.

If it were me I'd solve the issue before cutting the dogs tail off.

Where does the dog live?

S_B

what do mean by mental issues lol

colorado ant think both of you for responding

I'm not talking about what state Kid, what type of arrangement do you have for the dog?

The mental issues were different for each dog, saw one chase his removed tail once it was gone, seen one always checking for his tail and saw another get crazy human aggressive. Was all behavior directly caused by the tail missing? I can't say for sure because they weren't my dogs but the owner claimed those behaviors were not displayed before.

S_B

Save the tail. Work on the hydration first.

If he is kept in a crate and is a hard tail wager when excited he will bust the crap out of it if he is the least bit dehydrated. If he is kept in a crate and is excited when you get home you have to move him to the top of the list when you get there or he will beat the shit out of his tail wagging with excitement.

I have seen it with a lot of mills where the walls are high enough for the tails to wail on while running.

Whatever you feed him add water. Make or buy some sort of broth (chicken or beef). Pour it is his bowl and let him drink it.

I would not cut his tail unless it was an absolute medical necessity.

EWO

he is in a 18 1/2' x 6 1/12' kennel on pavers with a roof and lots of shade the crate is what started all this i feed jacks raw diet put water in feed now I'm putting pedialyte in a little kebble in the pm and in am his normal feed with pedialyte and water should i still add the broth too and yes i will try and save it but it just keeps getting worse and worse. and I'm trying every thing right now in young new stock on top of vetreson after i clean with chlorhexidine is all that ok