Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: >>>))) ARTICLES ON CONDITIONING (((<<<

That's the same way I do things here, EWO. All of the dogs I have are on a raw diet, and I've already started increasing the fat content to be ready for the colder weather. The highest % of fat I've fed a dog, in a keep, was between 50-55%. I can't remember the exact amount at this time, but it was a lot. He was a hard working dog, to say the least, and I was pleased to see he was able to handle that amount. The other dogs were fed close to the 40-45% because anything more than that, and they just would put on weight due to not burning the calories.

There is always something interesting when it comes to feeding dogs.

R2L
    I did the same but you can easily give raw with a higher fat percentage other times of the year also, by just giving less grams and increasing the percentage of vitamins/minerals, ect. 55 would be to high tho.
    Same thing they do in good working kibbles like royal canin 4800. I leave some dogs on it whole year round now, keep or rest.
    Some people think im crazy giving them expensive kibbles. But my bag last 1,5 time longer

R2L, I'd never give 55% to a dog just hanging out on the chain. The dog that received that much was in a keep. When all was said and done, he was like a 47lb dog on a 44lb frame. He was the biggest 44 I'd ever seen, and he was a dream to work as he gave me his everything every time we worked.

What I found was that the dogs that I upped the fat content on and immediately started work ran hotter than I expected during the earlier stages of the keep. Sorta like I thought he was in a little better shape when we started. Then things got better and at the end the dog 'just came around'. I did not have enough experience with the higher fat contents to realize the fats were just there and the dog was burning what he had been accustomed to burning all summer/fall. A number of years ago I read some of the sled dog articles and the light bulb went off ( I can be a little slow) the reason they are coming around at the end is that they are adjusting t burn what they are being fed. Almost like an 8-10 week mini-evolution process.

I just started to up my fat content last week and this week, not a ton but enough to get the switch. ONe it will be getting colder in the coming months and two, the dogs will see more activity. It is not like the winters are brutal in the Southeast, but cold is cold, and I can't see the need for my dog being 47 tonight and then 45 or so in the morning based on shivering alone.

Like Frosty said, the feed topic is really interesting because people have successes in so many different ways. Good posts. EWO

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPaws View Post
    That's the same way I do things here, EWO. All of the dogs I have are on a raw diet, and I've already started increasing the fat content to be ready for the colder weather. The highest % of fat I've fed a dog, in a keep, was between 50-55%. I can't remember the exact amount at this time, but it was a lot. He was a hard working dog, to say the least, and I was pleased to see he was able to handle that amount. The other dogs were fed close to the 40-45% because anything more than that, and they just would put on weight due to not burning the calories.

There is always something interesting when it comes to feeding dogs.
    When you upped the fat what do you use for the increase? Actual fat scraps, oils or lard??
    Also did you have any issues with loose stools on a high fat diet?

DRZ, I used all of what you described. I didn't have any issues with loose stools on the diet mainly because the dog was utilizing it. If he didn't work as he did, there's no way he could've been fed that much fat without being a fat slob of a dog. He's the only dog I've ever worked that received that much fat in his diet for a keep as most of the others simply didn't work hard enough to even use that much.

Ditto. Ditto. I used fat scraps, chicken fat, oils and lard as well. Like FP says, the dog has to be doing the work to offset those calories. The dog burns fat at a better rate than we do but the principle is still the same. If a dog eats XXXX amount of calories and only burns XX there is weight gain. The key is matching the amount of work to the amount of food and then adjusting as things move along. EWO

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPaws View Post
    DRZ, I used all of what you described. I didn't have any issues with loose stools on the diet mainly because the dog was utilizing it. If he didn't work as he did, there's no way he could've been fed that much fat without being a fat slob of a dog. He's the only dog I've ever worked that received that much f

at in his diet for a keep as most of the others simply didn't work hard enough to even use that much.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed...672977/related
    Effect of postexercise carbohydrate supplementation on muscle glycogen repletion in trained sled dogs.

AuthorsReynolds AJ, et al. Show all Journal
    Am J Vet Res. 1997 Nov;58(11):1252-6.

Affiliation
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of immediate postexercise carbohydrate supplementation on muscle glycogen (MG) repletion during the first 4 hours of recovery in sled dogs.

ANIMALS: 24 Alaskan Huskies.

PROCEDURE: Dogs were assigned to 1 of 3 treatment groups, and a muscle biopsy specimen was obtained 1 hour before and immediately (group A) or 4 hours (groups B and C) after a 30-km run. Immediately after exercise, dogs in group A and group C were given water; dogs in group B were given a glucose polymer solution (1.5 g/kg of body weight) in water.

RESULTS: At 4 hours after exercise, MG concentration was significantly greater in group-B than in group-C dogs; the value in group-C dogs was not different from the value in group-A dogs immediately after exercise. Assuming similar rates of glycogen depletion between treatment groups, during the first 4 hours of recovery, group-B dogs replaced 49% of the glycogen used during exercise. Plasma glucose concentration was significantly greater in group-B than in group-A and group-C dogs at 100 minutes after exercise.

CONCLUSIONS: Immediate postexercise carbohydrate supplementation in sled dogs leads to increased glucose concentration, which in turn promotes more rapid rate of MG repletion in the first 4 hours of recovery than is observed in dogs not given supplements.

CLINICAL RELEVANCE: For dogs running in multiple heats on a single day or over several consecutive days, immediate postexercise carbohydrate supplementation may promote more rapid and complete recovery between bouts of exercise.

I realize not about dogs... Good info that can be applied though
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21849912/

hysiological and performance changes from the addition of a sprint interval program to wrestling training.

AuthorsFarzad B, et al. Show all Journal
    J Strength Cond Res. 2011 Sep;25(9):2392-9. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181fb4a33.

Affiliation
    Abstract
    Increasing the level of physical fitness for competition is the primary goal of any conditioning program for wrestlers. Wrestlers often need to peak for competitions several times over an annual training cycle. Additionally, the scheduling of these competitions does not always match an ideal periodization plan and may require a modified training program to achieve a high level of competitive fitness in a short-time frame. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of 4 weeks of sprint-interval training (SIT) program, on selected aerobic and anaerobic performance indices, and hormonal and hematological adaptations, when added to the traditional Iranian training of wrestlers in their preseason phase. Fifteen trained wrestlers were assigned to either an experimental (EXP) or a control (CON) group. Both groups followed a traditional preparation phase consisting of learning and drilling technique, live wrestling and weight training for 4 weeks. In addition, the EXP group performed a running-based SIT protocol. The SIT consisted of 6 35-m sprints at maximum effort with a 10-second recovery between each sprint. The SIT protocol was performed in 2 sessions per week, for the 4 weeks of the study. Before and after the 4-week training program, pre and posttesting was performed on each subject on the following: a graded exercise test (GXT) to determine VO(2)max, the velocity associated with V(2)max (νVO(2)max), maximal ventilation, and peak oxygen pulse; a time to exhaustion test (T(max)) at their νVO(2)max; and 4 successive Wingate tests with a 4-minute recovery between each trial for the determination of peak and mean power output (PPO, MPO). Resting blood samples were also collected at the beginning of each pre and posttesting period, before and after the 4-week training program. The EXP group showed significant improvements in VO(2)max (+5.4%), peak oxygen pulse (+7.7%) and T(max) (+32.2%) compared with pretesting. The EXP group produced significant increases in PPO and MPO during the Wingate testing compared with pretesting (p < 0.05). After the 4-week training program, total testosterone and the total testosterone/cortisol ratio increased significantly in the EXP group, whereas cortisol tended to decrease (p = 0.06). The current findings indicate that the addition of an SIT program with short recovery can improve both aerobic and anaerobic performances in trained wrestlers during the preseason phase. The hormonal changes seen suggest training-induced anabolic adaptations.

How would Now Food's MCT oil work in a post feed recovery or say mixed with 8 to 12 oz. of half homemade beef both and half Pedialyte/one tablespoon of desiccated liver added. Say 12 hours before main workout. Might get the drizzling you know whats. Then maybe not.

I know MCT oil is a faster burning fat than animal fat and also a strong anti fungal. Just a thought in passing. V.J. liked to use the Chicken necks and Chicken backs to get the extra chicken fat and natural bones. Cheers