Thread: bitch off her food

bitch off her food

My 4 yr old bitch refused her food tonight and didn't want to come out of her house. Her temp is on the high side of normal (102.6), she is hydrated, gums are red, CRT is immediate. Her stomach feels tight and seems to be a little painful to the touch. Shes inside now and ill watch her and if she doesn't improve ill take her to the vet in the morning . She just seems real listless. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Re: bitch off her food

Quote Originally Posted by heritage
    My 4 yr old bitch refused her food tonight and didn't want to come out of her house. Her temp is on the high side of normal (102.6), she is hydrated, gums are red, CRT is immediate. Her stomach feels tight and seems to be a little painful to the touch. Shes inside now and ill watch her and if she doesn't improve ill take her to the vet in the morning . She just seems real listless. Anything I can do in the meantime?

I would take her in for an examination for pyometra IMMEDIATELY.

If she has closed pyometra, which is what this sounds like, she will die if you don't get it taken care of ASAP.

It is the worst thing that could happen to a bitch, health-wise.

Jack

Thanks once again Jack. Well I took her in and by the time I got her there her temp. had gone up a little. Vet said it was metritis, prescribed cephalaxin and said to be on the lookout for any discharge. I did tell him that I suspected pyometra. Hopefully the vet is right.

Metritis can be just as bad as pyometra.

Did he do an xray to make sure her uterus was not going to burst? This is critical!

No he didn't . I didn't ask for them. Obviously I should have. Ive given her the Cflex twice and she threw up awhile after , one time I saw a bit of the undigested powder from the capsule in the throw up. I must have failed to make sure she swallowed the cap and she just held it in her throat untill she threw up again. So far I've given her 1000 mg and Idk how much she has thrown back up . Also her stomach seems to be tucking back in, it seemed larger last night although it is still a bit too firm. What should I do now ?

I would get an xray for sure, and be CERTAIN rather than play guessing games.

Either disease can be fatal, but a closed pyometra is the worst of all.

Jack

PS: Accute Metritus usually occurs after delivery of pups, while pyometra usually occurs 2-4 weeks after a heat cycle.