Thread: throws up immediately after food

Subscribed Member

throws up immediately after food

Dog tried to eat but regurgitates immediately after every bit. Can't finsh all the food.
    Any ideas?

I can say that about 5 days ago he probably swallowed a shank bone. I give all the dogs 1 shank bone a week. I walk the yard handing out the bones. At the end of the walk I tured around and picked up pans. As I got back to him the bone was gone. I looked for it in his house and around his chain spot but couldn't find it. I have about 8 dogs so this walk didnt take to long. The bone was about 3/4 inch thick and 2 or 2.5 inches across. So Ive never had a dog swallow one hole but its probably possible.
    THE WAY OF THE GUN

Quote Originally Posted by LEFTLANE View Post
    Dog tried to eat but regurgitates immediately after every bit. Can't finsh all the food.
    Any ideas?
    I can say that about 5 days ago he probably swallowed a shank bone. I give all the dogs 1 shank bone a week. I walk the yard handing out the bones. At the end of the walk I tured around and picked up pans. As I got back to him the bone was gone. I looked for it in his house and around his chain spot but couldn't find it. I have about 8 dogs so this walk didnt take to long. The bone was about 3/4 inch thick and 2 or 2.5 inches across. So Ive never had a dog swallow one hole but its probably possible.
    Yep, you've probably got a blockage. You can try giving him a cup of mineral oil, but if he's throwing up that fast I doubt he's going to keep it down long enough to let it get on down there.

If he hasn't passed the bone, or defecated, by tomorrow, I would definitely take him in to the vet for an xray/surgery tomorrow morning.

Good luck,

Jack

Subscribed Member
    You think its possible to pass a bone that large? Or do you think its possible to be partly digested?
    THE WAY OF THE GUN

I wouldnt wait til morning, but other than that i agree with Jack. My buddy just lost a dog from a blockage. The reason i say not to wait is because of how fast he yacks after eating. Better safe than sorry man, jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by TopShelfKennels View Post
    I wouldnt wait til morning, but other than that i agree with Jack. My buddy just lost a dog from a blockage. The reason i say not to wait is because of how fast he yacks after eating. Better safe than sorry man, jmo.

I hear you.

With a sharp bone, there could be an injury or perforation going on.

Only reason I would wait till morning is because of $$$ with an emergency vet. If no injury, waiting till morning won't matter much (provided problem just started today and there is no injury/perforation).

However, if money is no object, then (yes) going to the vet now is Best Practice, no question.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by LEFTLANE View Post
    You think its possible to pass a bone that large? Or do you think its possible to be partly digested?

Not if he ate it whole, no.

If it's in pieces, possibly.

Jack

Subscribed Member
    Update

I gave him a cup of min oil and within 2 days he could eat without regurgitating. And has had many regular bowel movements. So as of right now I believe he will be ok. I made the decision that from now on out ill get them shank bone cut about 1.5" think instead of 3/4"
    THE WAY OF THE GUN