Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ((( MY THOUGHTS ON FEEDING RAW )))

Quote Originally Posted by rodburner View Post
    LOOKING FOR OPINIONS AND INPUT...I GOT 40LBS. OF LEG QUARTERS TO START AND I WANT TO GRIND IT IN TO 1.5 LBS. PACKS..GOING TO MIX IN SOME
    TRIPE AND SOME ORGANS;HEARTS AND GIZZARDS...ADD MY SOFTBOILED EGGS AND MULTI VITAMIN AT FEED DAY...QUESTION IS...
    WILL IT MATTER THAT I REFREEZE THE CHICKEN AND LAYOUT ENUF FOR 2/3 DAYS AHEAD? GUESS IT'S MY OWN EXPERIMENT....

I would not grind it but to each his own. The freezing and thawing is a non-issue as it is really the only way to buy in bulk. Buying in bulk is about the only way to save any money feeding RAW. If it were bought daily or every three to four days or so the costs would be huge in comparison to buying in bulk and freezing. Best of luck. EWO

LOOKING FOR OPINIONS AND INPUT...I GOT 40LBS. OF LEG QUARTERS TO START AND I WANT TO GRIND IT IN TO 1.5 LBS. PACKS..GOING TO MIX IN SOME
    TRIPE AND SOME ORGANS;HEARTS AND GIZZARDS...ADD MY SOFTBOILED EGGS AND MULTI VITAMIN AT FEED DAY...QUESTION IS...
    WILL IT MATTER THAT I REFREEZE THE CHICKEN AND LAYOUT ENUF FOR 2/3 DAYS AHEAD? GUESS IT'S MY OWN EXPERIMENT....

1.5 lb is a lot of chicken per dog.

A dog only needs to be fed 2% of its weight in raw per day, and 1.5 lb = 24 oz of chicken (let alone the other items you plan to add).

Here is a basic matrix to feed approximately 2% of each dog’s body weight daily:

20 lb dog: 6.4 oz.
    25 lb dog: 8.0 oz.
    30 lb dog: 9.6 oz.
    35 lb dog: 11.2 oz.
    40 lb dog: 12.8 oz.
    45 lb dog: 14.4 oz.
    50 lb dog: 16.0 oz.
    55 lb dog: 17.6 oz.
    60 lb dog: 19.2 oz.

If you have a 40 lb dog, you're doubling the amount of food it needs to be fed. That might be okay if you live in a cold climate, but in order to feed your dogs the correct amount of raw feed, you will need two scales: one scale on which to weigh your dogs and the other scale to weight their feed.

Jack

I changed to nature's variety raw venison... Almost no stool, they don't drink hardly any water.

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    1.5 lb is a lot of chicken per dog.

A dog only needs to be fed 2% of its weight in raw per day, and 1.5 lb = 24 oz of chicken (let alone the other items you plan to add).

Here is a basic matrix to feed approximately 2% of each dog’s body weight daily:

20 lb dog: 6.4 oz.
    25 lb dog: 8.0 oz.
    30 lb dog: 9.6 oz.
    35 lb dog: 11.2 oz.
    40 lb dog: 12.8 oz.
    45 lb dog: 14.4 oz.
    50 lb dog: 16.0 oz.
    55 lb dog: 17.6 oz.
    60 lb dog: 19.2 oz.

If you have a 40 lb dog, you're doubling the amount of food it needs to be fed. That might be okay if you live in a cold climate, but in order to feed your dogs the correct amount of raw feed, you will need two scales: one scale on which to weigh your dogs and the other scale to weight their feed.

Jack
    YEA JACK,I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT I'M GOING TO CUT IT IN HALF AT FEEDING...ALL MINE ARE BETWEEN 33 AND 38 LBS... SORRY FOR THE MIX UP... ANYWAY TRIED MY HAND AT THE GRINDING DEAL TODAY AND UH TO SAY THE LEAST IT'S A WASTE OF TIME..MITE DO IT FOR THE PUPS BUT THATS IT....JEEEZZZ WHAT A MESS..LOL..
    KID WITH A NEW TOY...IT COME IN TODAY SO I USED IT TODAY....THE REASON FOR THE GRINDING WAS TO SAVE SPACE IN THE FREEZER...BUT I DID BUY THEM IN BULK AND DIVIDED THEM UP IN BAGS OF 5 SO TO EZ THE THAWING...THANKS FOR THE INPUT FOLKS.......ANY BODY NEED A STX 3000 HAHAHA...

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionkennels View Post
    I changed to nature's variety raw venison... Almost no stool, they don't drink hardly any water.
    I rotate all of the Nature's Variety patties on my one doggie ... for a complete, rotational diet.

And, yes, almost no stool ... and almost no water intake

YEA JACK,I SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT I'M GOING TO CUT IT IN HALF AT FEEDING...ALL MINE ARE BETWEEN 33 AND 38 LBS... SORRY FOR THE MIX UP... ANYWAY TRIED MY HAND AT THE GRINDING DEAL TODAY AND UH TO SAY THE LEAST IT'S A WASTE OF TIME..MITE DO IT FOR THE PUPS BUT THATS IT....JEEEZZZ WHAT A MESS..LOL..
    KID WITH A NEW TOY...IT COME IN TODAY SO I USED IT TODAY....THE REASON FOR THE GRINDING WAS TO SAVE SPACE IN THE FREEZER...BUT I DID BUY THEM IN BULK AND DIVIDED THEM UP IN BAGS OF 5 SO TO EZ THE THAWING...THANKS FOR THE INPUT FOLKS.......ANY BODY NEED A STX 3000 HAHAHA...
    Nothing wrong with saving space ... if you have a good grinder you might wind up saving time overall, if you (say) devote one day to really grinding-up a bunch, separating it into individual portions, etc.

Jack

TO BE HONEST THAT WAS MY PLAN...GRIND UP A COUPLE OF WEEKS WORTH..BUT I GOT TO GET A LOT BETTER.OR I'M GOING TO GET ANOTHER DIVORCE.LOL
    I'LL FINE TUNE IT,AND TIME WILL TELL...IT ONLY BOGGED DOWN TWICE AND IF I HAD CUT THEM A BIT BETTER IT MITE HAVE NOT DONE THAT AT ALL.

If you spend 4 hours on one day ... which saves you 1 hour every day for the rest of 6 days of the week ... you've saved yourself 2 hours overall

I GOT A QUESTION. ONE STORE THAT I GO TO SELLS THE LEG QUARTERS IN THE BAGS (4-10LB BAGS FOR 22.99) FOR THE MOST PART THEY ARE SMALL.. NOW, THE OTHER STORE THAT I GO TO HAS THEM FROM 16.99-19.99 THEY ARE LOOSE IN ONE BIG BLUE PLASTIC BAG (BIG ONES). NOW BY LOOKIN AT THE QUARTERS FROM THE 1ST SPOT MENTIONED, IT'S OBVIOUS THAT THE 2ND SPOTS QUARTERS HAVE THE HARMONES, STEROIDS, ETC. IN THEM. SO MY QUESTION IS, DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE AS FAR AS WHICH ONES I SHOULD FEED THEM?

Unless they do say on packaging that they are organic, or whatever else, raised, the size is not an indication of higher use of chemical enhancement, when we talk about sm shelve products. To be honest I would go for the biger pieces as they usually have better meat to bone ratio. But, if you can have a serious indication that the smaller ones conatin less chemicals, then go for those. I just say size shouldn't be your criterion without more evidence.