Thread: Feeding shot game?

Feeding shot game?

What's your opinion on feeding shot game birds such as pheasant, partridge and duck ? It's the shot left in the birds that I'm asking about as I am considering feeding them whole as part of a diet ? Thanks for any advice . Worzel

It would be better to split them and remove the pellets. I would say if not, the steel shot would be a better option than lead shot.

I feed a lot of deer meat when they are in season. I feed hunks, chunks and bones. If it is a shot area I try to remove the shot before hand. If I can see the damage but can't find the shot I normally toss that piece out.

The birds would be a lot more difficult if attempting to feed whole. I think I would take the time to split and clean them.

EWO

I think it would take up a lot of time and effort to try and dig out every piece of shot from a bird but I'd really like to try the whole raw feeding plan and in the shooting season I can get between 80/100 birds a week minimum for very little cost , it's just the shot that I'm concerned about weather or not it would pass straight through the dog or if you think it would have a detrimental effect over time ? These birds are usually destined for the game dealer and human consumption so I'm thinking of getting a big chest freezer and giving it a try unless you fellas think it would be a harmful build up of toxins in a dog ? Thanks, Worzel.