Thread: Milk 6 weeks after breeding

Milk 6 weeks after breeding

Hi. Bred a bitch 6 weeks ago. Had 2 good sticks at the right time. Now I could squeeze milk out 6 weeks after breeding. Googled and all I could find was that she's most probably in phantom pregnancy. Is there any chance that she still took? ( Vet is no option because of scars)

It is possible that she may welp 1 -2 pups which may not show depending on the bitches size. You should know in another 3 weeks or so. Good Luck
    KOS

Yea, its not so much about showing, but the milk is way to early. You ever had that and still got pups?

Yes I have a real good bitch that I bred twice and both were 1 male litters. I can't really remember when her milk began but I do remember her whelping 3 or 4 days earlier than I expected with both litters.
    KOS

I see, maybe its my english. But my question is about start of milk. Or do you mean it started early with you too? They're supposed to start producing in the last week or even while giving birth. I can't find any source that says it can start this early. So my only conclusions is its a sign of phantom pregnancy.

Your bitch lactating 3 weeks early is probably a false pregnancy but you never know!
    KOS

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    Hi. Bred a bitch 6 weeks ago. Had 2 good sticks at the right time. Now I could squeeze milk out 6 weeks after breeding. Googled and all I could find was that she's most probably in phantom pregnancy. Is there any chance that she still took? ( Vet is no option because of scars)
    Is it a first-time bitch or an experienced bitch?

I never look for "milk" as a sign of pregnancy; rather, I look for white "goup" coming out of her vagina.

If they start getting a snot-like (almost semen-like) mucousy discharge/goup out of their cooter, they're pregnant.

Jack

Its a first time bitch Jack. I didn't look for milk as sign of pregnancy. But when I found out she was giving milk WAY to early we started doubting if she took.

Well, she is pregnant, almost giving birth to 4 - 6 pups. So the answer my own question is , yes. Probably some "false pregnancy" within a real pregnancy... lol. Or bitch just starting way to early, which isn't natural. Been running some amoxcilline for past 7 days, to make sure milk is clean and not brewing in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    Or bitch just starting way to early, which isn't natural.

Not sure if I'd say, "Isn't natural," as opposed to, "Isn't typical."

I've never paid attention to the milk so much as watched for the discharge when I walk them out or (if in a pen) observed them as I clean it out.

Glad you had pups ... and good idea on the milk-cleaning.