Thread: female and AI frozen sperm

female and AI frozen sperm

whats the age u would consider for a bitch using the last straws of a dog

situation I have a 50% vial of a dog , last 3 vials left
    bitch is 7 ( great bitch , good mother , great performer and down from producing bitch and sire)

would you save for a younger one and probably sacrifice the fact she may not have won a confirmation show

Personally I feel 7 is just edging past one's prime. Most times that's when I start breeding bitches, males usually later.

Ask yourself, is she in excellent health? How many pups did she have last litter and how long ago was it? What is her average number of pups each time she has been bred? Did that number decrease with age? Has she proven her worth as a producer?

If she's your pick and you're satisfied with your answers, breed her. Otherwise wait for the next bitch to come along that has the "right stuff".

I can tell you're very picky or selective Bulldoghistorian, one can recognize their own. Good luck!

S_B

last litter was 1,5 years ago , she is in good health I seldom breed once every two years
    its just a remark from a board member that got me thinking about using ai on young ones

i dont like breeding young dogs I like to analyze a whole litter as my philosophy is u dont breed a individual u breed to a whole family
    just the way I am and after so many years well u know how stubborn one can get