Thread: Breeding For A Purpose

Breeding For A Purpose

When it comes to dog breeding selection is everything. What you select for, you will get. What you don’t select for you will lose. You cannot select for color and get game dogs. You cannot select for athletic ability and get game dogs. The only way to get game dogs is to select for game dogs. You cannot select for conformation and get pit winners, you cannot select for temperament and get pit winners. The only way to get pit winners is to breed and select for pit winners.

I don’t really care why another man breeds his dogs, so long as he is not trying to say he is selecting for something he is not. You cannot preserve gameness by breeding for the show or any other activity. It is impossible. If you want to breed show dogs, select for dogs that win at the show. If you want to breed tree climbing dogs, select dogs that can climb trees. If you want to breed running dogs, select dogs that can run. If you want to breed pit dogs, breed dogs that can win in the pit. If you want to breed game dogs, breed dogs that are game. But, do not breed for any other reason and try to claim you are preserving the game pit dog. That is just pissing down my back and telling me it is raining.

The second the selection criterion changes you are changing the breed. A PIT bull with out the PIT is a bull of a different sort. It may be a show bull, a running bull, a weight pulling bull, a couch bull or whatever. But, it is no longer a PIT bull.
    I firmly believe that the word PIT should be taken out of the breed name because 99.99% of “PIT” bulls have never, nor ever will see a pit. Nor have their parents, grand parents, or great-grand parents. All the word “PIT” does is bring negative attention to the breed.

Author - "A dogwoman" H.

This was shared with me years ago by someone I certainly have respect for though did not know well.

I think the thought process is spot on.

S_B

Great Fucking Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should be a sticky...but most hate the truth of this post.

Yis
    Yardboy Phab
    -Listen to the dog, and you'll go further.

Spot on!

Breeding dogs is much more complicated then described here... especially breeding the winning dogs as those are usually made up of an array of diff traits that helped him accomplish those feats. Not as simple as breeding this winner to this winner and wallah! We got winners! Lol