Thread: Refurbishing Old Mills

Refurbishing Old Mills

Guys I lucked up and good Old School dogmen friends sold me a very important pieces of history. I was able to acquire equipment used by dogs such as Mtn Mans Homer, Homer Jr ch Lil Bill, Crenshaw's Ch Charlie, Super Gnats gr ch Ace, man the list goes on and on and on with everything that was given to me lately. So long story short I'm going to clean everything up and get them back in tip top shape. Im looking for a pin that will lock the mill belt in place to connect both ends of the belt together. Kinda hard to explain what it is but I'm hopping someone with some mill building experience knows exactly what and where it is. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure if you have this option but I'll explain how I do it. I start the front side of the slats up on the front hubs and stick a pry bar though the slats against my axle and then use the backside of my upright portion of my frame to wedge my prybar behind to keep it from rolling off the hubs. Then bring the back half of the slats on around from the backside of the mill and use a 1/8" bar to stick between your slats to have something to clamp against while you tie your two ends together. To tie them together I split the difference in my connecting slat and bolt each side of the slat to the belt. Then I take a strip of belt that will cover three slats and bolt it to the inside of my original connection to reinforce the joint. I hope that makes sense or at least gives you ideas of a different option than what your looking for. I think what you may be describing is what we use to connect hay Bailer belts. It's like a key way that you bring together that has the little eyes built in it that interlock, then you slide the locking wire through them to tie it in? If so you can by them at any John Deere or new holland type store that sales tractors or hay bailers.

Thats exactly what I need is the locking wire to tie them in together. when I go to John Deere or holland what is it exactly I'm asking for. Whats the proper verbiage for the locking wire.

I believe they call them hinge pins. This link I'm gonna show you should give you the idea of what your looking for. You may find these components cheaper elsewhere but it should get you started.

https://www.sloanex.com/ac0qx1vmks-1...plicepack.html

Thats perfect thanks brotha.....

Team Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by TGK View Post
    Thats perfect thanks brotha.....

Team Georgia

so the belt doesn't overlap

Quote Originally Posted by LivewireT View Post
    so the belt doesn't overlap
    No the belt doesn't overlap, otherwise you will have a hump running over the rollers that wouldn't allow for a smooth ride.