Thread: COLD WEATHER HOUSING TIPS and IDEAS

COLD WEATHER HOUSING TIPS and IDEAS

Here are some of the things that I do. Please share your tips that have been passed down to you.

I live near Lake Michigan and the high temp this coming Wed. is predicted to be -14.

I am doing all i can to stay ahead of this with insulated houses STUFFED with fresh straw, plenty of water, plenty of food supplemented with a killer leg quarter every other day.

I'm blessed to have a heated shop that i have my pups in that are still on their mama.

The above grounds that I have outside are insulated with R10-2" sheets and they have a 150W heat lamps in them.(post pics later)

I would like some suggestions on things to supplement their diet with. Maybe recipes for satin balls, real fatty foods that are good to supplement with.
    Like I mentioned I give them a big chicken quarter every other day and I'm going to double their food by feeding before i go to work and then at normal feeding time.

Ill try to continue to add to this post as things come to mind.

Good luck if you have this bad weather coming also.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -- Johann Goethe

I found this in an old email

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
    1 lg. box of Total cereal
    1 lg. box oatmeal
    1 jar of wheat germ
    1 1/4 cup veg oil
    1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
    10 raw eggs AND shells
    10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
    pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -- Johann Goethe

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
    1 lg. box of Total cereal
    1 lg. box oatmeal
    1 jar of wheat germ
    1 1/4 cup veg oil
    1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
    10 raw eggs AND shells
    10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
    pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

I feed twice a day as well, when it's cold.

-Ground meat (beef&pork) with boiled rice and extra fat (beef&pork), oils (salmon&veggie), this is the basic food. Served warm.
    -Whole eggs, veggie/fruit/berry-mix, liver; couple times per week
    -Once a week is bone day (or chicken wings or turkey drumsticks), if it's not too cold.

All doghouses are insulated, some are heated with light bulb. Plenty of beddings.

Right now it's -30 celsius

Easiest way to load pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by ScratchAndGO View Post
    Easiest way to load pictures?
    click "go advanced" icon in the quick reply box. It's the paper clip icon (top row far right)

I did the same thing I've done for the last 20 yrs which is pretty close to what you do extra feed chicken quarter or beef rolled up into a ball I also add beef fat which is wonderful stuff to use we buy straw by the truckload
    I did get a call from a neighbor who hasn't spoke to me about my dogs for over 15 yrs and I assured her that they would be fine I'm just happy she called me instead of someone else