Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking down a pedigree

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Ok so stepping back and reading and asking questions I must say I think Ive actually learned a little bit.
    That's the idea of making you think

It makes me happy to say I can see the breeding trend here. 75% - 25%. Hmmm time to dig some more. I can see on paper what dog she felt had the most positive influence but now I want to understand why.
    Sounds like you've been doing some reading

The first step in learning how to read a pedigree is to begin to see breeding patterns emerge. Then you look for relatedness amongst the dogs (forget about different "human owners"), pay attention to the dog blood. For example Crum's Cremator and Anderson's Ch Tonka sound like two completely different dogs ... because they're owned by completely different "human names" ... but if you pay attention to the dog blood, you will see they're littermates, both being sired by Tombstone and Red Baby. So forget the "human names" behind the dogs, just pay attention to how they're bred. The final step is either personally getting to know (or at least getting reputable first hand info on) each of the dogs in the pedigrees.

All of these things are necessary to understand a pedigree ... without which a person is just babbling-off names like a parrot (meaning, he really doesn't understand what's behind the words he's saying).

Thanks Jack your book and forum are amazing teaching tool. It will never replace hands on face to face teaching ( schooling ) but still thanks
    Well, thank you very much for saying so ... and for actually taking the time to read what I have put up there. I agree, first hand knowledge and schooling are best, but it sure helps to be pointed in the right direction!

For example, I could not get rid of all the "spammers" that were joining here on this forum, and I had no idea what to do at first. But after I read the appropriate material, I was then pointed in the right direction as to what to do ... but it was still up to me to go do it.

But my taking the time to read the instruction made it A THOUSAND TIMES EASIER to deal with and handle correctly, than trying to figure out what to do from scratch!

And that is exactly why I have created this resource ... and will forever build upon it ... is to put everything a person needs to know "right here" ... all in chronological order and sequence, thereby making everything easier and better for sincere dogmen and women ... and therefore better for their dogs.

Cheers

Lol I feel like I just learned to speak Spanish I've been around this dogs for almost 20 yrs and learned more in 2 months then all that time combined.
    That is nice to hear, and I am glad you feel that way.

Reminds me of when Sugar Ray Leonard lost to the legendary Duran the first time ... but fought hard for the full 15 rounds ... Leonard said, "That was like a 5-year boxing lesson in one fight." ... and came back and whipped Duran

Jack

Abe,

If you really like your bitch but not the dog don't breed to him. You can breed well conformed dogs with the drive you seek. It is called upgrading. Breed your bitch to a dog with the drive you're looking for. Move forward with the bitches that come from the breeding. The ones that have the conformation and the drive breed back to their sire for more drive. Repeat the process again and again. Selection is the key. What you put in is what you will get out.

Thx stonewall I wish these where my dogs I'm looking at getting a pup out of that litter. Thanks for the info

Bump up for 2020...