Thread: Intelligence

Intelligence

If you were looking to breed for intelligence today, what line of dogs would you look to? Also, when you think of intelligence, what does that look like in these dogs? Problem solving in the hunt? Knowing how to finish? Trainable/obedient in the keep? Let's explore intelligence. What is it and which dogs have it?

The female I got from Titan kennels is highly intelligent. She’s probably the smartest dog that I have had. In the beginning she was really skittish. It was annoying. Almost scared of her shadow. She’s still really aloof. She problem solves things around the house more than the male I have. She threw brains in a good portion of the pups. I feel I kept the best two. It may have been irresponsible but I learned a hard lesson. She was so beta and submissive to my male I didn’t think much of it. I left the two of them out. I came home to that smell in the air and something on the floor. They’re both on the couch. My male has a pumpkin head and a hole in his forehead. She has a few scattered scrapes. He’s 10-15 pounds heavier than her. He looked to catch the worst of the affair. A few days later I’m woken up to commotion again. She’s clamped on his muzzle. I thin I would classify her as a slow starter and she can figure out how to get a bigger dog off her hold him out. She’s gold to me. The daughter I kept from her is smart too. She’s more finery and outgoing. Hammonds in the gazette was talking about hog hunting. He said overly hot dogs just run into the hog and get killed. Where this little girl thought she was full grown at four months she has more brains than her dad. She would rather have a ear face hold to control a hog. If he’s too big she will change up where she hits. She will bury her face in and arm pit and consider moving to the rear end. She has a way of positioning herself to be out of harms way. In a minute or two she can make one limp with that arm pit hold and I know it’s not what she wants. I like that little crazy, stubborn, sweet dog. She’s a rough one someone Could be tempted to do something dumb with and loose permanently. Her brother is smart too. He’s always following you watching. You can see gears turning in his head. Super loyal, he will run behind my horse when I condition. His sister will run a lap and when she she’s it’s a loop she will stop and watch. Maybe that is brains. Her brother took the hardworking gene from dad. Her brother is the type that can play with cur dogs. He can stand on a yard with dogs and just look at them. Don’t get behind a dog on the yard like you’re facing it at him. A light switch clicks on and he’s squirming to grab him and you better have a good hole behind his neck he’ll try to bite you to go. I would call that intelligence. I read that breeder Vs matcher section. I feel like for any potential mix I would have brother sister and mom are key steps. Dad is the firestarter. I have considered looking at studs for mom and sister. I have to figure where they would go. I don’t have room for them all or a bunch of hands I could put them in. Watching the brother play with little cur dogs, then see the light switch when you face a dog at him, and how fast him and his sister fight shows some kind of intelligence or discernment. You can look in his face and see gears turning.

Interesting. I never thought of intelligence as a dog that discerns between a match and cur play. Makes sense though.

Mistake
    Last edited by Frank43; 05-27-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Mistake

I would NEVER leave my bulldogs together unattended and barely let them contact or be close enough to each other to touch when I am there. These are not pack animals! I had a mother and her pick of the litter son and they got into it when he got 5-6 months old and they hated each other the rest of their lives.Had them in my car and someone walked past with a dog and they got excited and ended up turning on each other.I had to drag them out of my car,leash one to the fence,break them apart,take one home and come back and get the other,luckily I knew people on that block to watch over my dog until I returned.Right now I have a little 32 pound female who loves to grab my 55 pound males collar and bite on him.He resists but I know if I left them alone he would get tired of it and probably grab her.I just give them their space.
    SBCK

Sometimes you end up in shit you didn’t plan on. You go to get a pup from a top breeder. He says. You want a pair for the price of one. Um. Yea. I’ll figure something out. They’re a breeding pair. Bred how you like. You get them. Then start working them. See their personalities. They stick each other. Now you got pups off a top breeder. From a yard starter breeding pair. You raise the litter. You can tell who the best are within a few weeks. You choose pups with various traits of each parent. This is step one of a yard and you live in a subdivision. You don’t want them outside to get stolen or bark and give neighbors reasons to call ac on you. So you have four with divided time in the house realizing you need to move. You love these crazy funny violent ass mf like kids. You get broke. People deep in dogs want you to sell your pups because they know you have an eye for them. You would rather put a bullet in each of their heads and move to the mission than sell your dogs to people that would roll them and not give them the aftercare they need. Girls tell you get rid of the dogs or we can’t date. You keep your murder dogs. No girl. It’s not ideal. We are in. I know two breedings I need to make. And which pup I need to find to build wings of the yard specializing in traits. You still live in a county that hates pits. They tolerate them because they don’t bark, you pick up your poop, they aren’t outside on chains. I have already thought of four breedings and three generations of dogs. That female is a foundation female and her daughter is the foundation of the speed wing of the family.

You can just say stupid. I’m sure there are people with more dogs than they need but can’t part with them.