Thread: Breeding a 9yr old female

Breeding a 9yr old female

greetings,
    I have a 9yr old female. Is it too late for her to have a litter? Any advised or guidance is appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by classic pitbull View Post
    greetings,
    I have a 9yr old female. Is it too late for her to have a litter? Any advised or guidance is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Everyone has an opinion but the only one that matters is yours. The question I would ask myself: is my 9 year old bitch healthy enough to breed?

If you can answer this honestly (I wouldn't spit litters out of her) and it's one of her last litters. Do what you want. Imo

I'm sure there are plenty of dog men who have bred gyps this age or older over the years.

Over the years I have bred plenty of old studs and bitches the oldest stud was13 bred to a 12-year-old bitch she gave me a full litter. Over the years well known dogmen would call and tell me that their brood dog missed her last two breedings and would ask if they could send them to me and let me try and get them bred one that comes to mind would be Garret’s Flossie she was sent to me at 10 had her on my yard for 3 years she produced every year I had her. One thing that I have learned over the years is to breed older bitches later in their heat cycle by a few days but now I use a blood test kit to take the guesswork out of it. Also a older bitch needs to be in top shape as in walked every day before breeding and during pregnancy I hope this helps you out.

Thank you for your advise. My main concern would be her health. I will be more diligent on health before looking for a stud.

APBT canine performance bred his gyp at 9 or 10 and she looks and acts great.She has recovered and snapped back like a young’un.I would document the breeding with pictures from the sticking to the birth.I think some registries have restrictions on registering pups from old bitches but if you have the pics you should be fine (if you care about registering the pups).
    SBCK

Can you send contact info please I got 10 yr log gyp

Yes you can. Long as the brood bitch is in top health and exercised. Desiccated Liver along Debittered Brewers yeast worked well for me with good quality feed. You need to use the test tape like Lightner recommends.

Tom Garner has a feed supplement for bred brood bitches that may work well in good feed. You would need to ask him or from those that have used it.

Make sure there is a wide enough and high enough rest bench for the bitch to get up on. To rest and get away from the pups when they are close to weaning. By using this method, I had my pups eating good chow by the time they could come out the brood box. Early as 5 weeks or so. Takes a lot of stress off your brood bitch and allows for fast recovery.

If your brood bitch after pups are weaned, does not look as fit and healthy coming out of the brood box as when she went in. You are doing something wrong.

When a old bitch starts getting those large tumors in udders etc. Time to probably have spaded and bred no more. Cheers