Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panacur/Safe Guard (Febendazole)

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    Jack you are correct I posted pg. 356

I think we are just interpreting the dosage differently, or the book is contradicting?
    There's no misinterpreting what I posted: it clearly says BID.

There's no misinterpreting what you posted: it clearly says SID.

I found the section you posted "Anthelmintics" and read over "Benzimidazoles" which is the class of drug febendazole is considered. It states that febendazole is a prodrug because it has a longer half-life, it is not rapidly metabolized into an inactive product. Then goes on to point out what you stated above about the digestive system of a ruminate or horse. (I know I'm stating the obvious here, and you know this!)
    It says fenbendazole has a longer half-life than Albendazole, but that doesn't mean it has a long half-life compared to other wormers.

The very fact you have to use so much, for 3 days in a row, proves how weak it is ... when (say) you only use a drop of moxidectin, which lasts for 30 days.

The question about fenbendazole is, "Do we use it SID or BID for 3 days in a row?" The section of the book you posted says SID, the section I posted says, "However, treatment must be given BID for 3 days."

I'm not trying to disprove what you say at all Jack, but I would like this to be clear for myself. It is matter of using twice as much drug at twice the cost.

I found this article about febendazole dosage in dogs I thought I'd share. Link: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00C...nbendazole.htm

S_B
    True, it doubles the cost.

Jack

Very good information...