Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding dogs at a year.

Breeding dogs at a year.

Appears that everyone these days are backing up dogs to unproven dogs

Just peddling...smh

It has always been that way.

What we tend to do is take a nostalgic look back into the past always wearing rose colored glasses.

Even one of the greats down in Louisiana said the dog will throw what the dog is going to throw regardless of age.

But there are two trains of thought:

1. The guy has bred six-seven-eight generations of the same family of dogs. He has some insight. If he has selected for the same traits and he has been getting those traits consistently then sees them in a younger dog, he is on a better path than......

2. Then there is the guy who buys two dogs and he has zero input into their pedigree and breeds them at a year partly in the hopes of grandeur and partly to get his money back and partly to make a few dollars.

But this is no different than the paper hangers, crooks and thieves we look back on so fondly.

EWO

Oh, I know it has always occurred. Been around the hounds 48 years and counting.lol

The game has always had that element unfortunately. Though I would not buy a dog period these days off the new generation breeders.

I have lived the theory of breeding scatter breed dogs, cold dogs..Never used a dog under a year. We let the bitches mature. The percentages weren't that great in our situation. We had a handful of decent ones. It was good for the minor league.. Didn't work in the Open Division.

If the guys are just hoarder of certain lines and aren't hog hunting with it. That's fine. If they are putting it out there of Open Division dogs ..Well, you must have coin to loses..lol

Just because it's been done doesn't make it a success down the road

I was not defending the practice just saying it is nothing new.

EWO

there is also a guy that gets a breeding pair from a good breeder. From working with the dogs he knows their traits. He knows how hard it is to get you hand on a good dog as an outsider. He breeds them and monitors the pups. none are peddled. none are risked until loses can be taken. Maybe its risky or less than ideal. Sometimes a loss hurts more than other times. by looking at the dogs he tries to figure out what is coming from where to lock it in. its not really peddling. its less than ideal.

Seen it from both sides.. If your looking at just breeding pretty paper. That's fine .Just don't lie about the quality of the hounds for a coin. I had ole timer give me a Hemphill/ Wilders Max bitch. Off both proven parents.. He told us to test her and use here as a brood. At 25 months she checked out. And was a decent brood.That was in the late 70's.

Always been exception to the rules and that's what the novice always put their faith in. Lol

Our time has come and gone..Good luck yis..

Agreed. It is similar in theory to breeding to the freak out of a family of plugs. Most will chase the freak in their plans but end up with mostly plugs. It just works that way.

My buddy had CH Angel. She was a newspaper dog a kid bought and through his legal issues she was pawned off on his grandmother. She would escape any 10X10 before you could close the door. Climb the fence like she was a monkey. She ran up the road and ran along the fence line his dogs trying to play. Tail wagging and just being a 6 month old puppy. He would carry her down the road, put her in the pen and she just about beat him back home.

The grandma asked him if he would take the dog. With it he got a 10X10 in great shape, a nice igloo doghouse, two bags of food in a metal can and a set of papers with a pedigree. He did the older lady a favor and took the dog. He chained her out and let her grow up.

He had moved from the game birds to the game dogs and had amassed quite the collection of well bred solid game dogs. He spent some $$$ to get there as well.

When the time came Angel stopped one of the best bitches I ever owned. Then planted two more. Then went on to win three with two RIP for sure and one I am not sure about the ride home.

If you can name a family or bloodline from the 80's and 90's it was in Angel. I am not sure how a dog could be that scatterbred. it would be hard to do on purpose. Red Boy, Snooty, Miss Pool Hall Red, Molly Bee, Midnight Cowboy/Boomerang, the dogs that made Maverick and Skull, the dogs that made Dirty Mary, Bolio and Andy Capp. Just a hodge podge of dogs. Frisco being the only dog on the top and the bottom. Just crazy.

And she ran along the river near here with two Blue Heelers and wrestled and play fought like a puppy in her retirement.

When she was rolled once her owner had a broke leg. She looked like shit with no effort and just taking it just to take it. This old guy who had seen her told him to step over the wall and talk to her and within just a few minutes she had planted another.

All that from the bottom. Laying on her back she put dogs to sleep.

When bred to males that had already produced maybe one or two games dogs out of the litters but nothing that made it to the show. And if she had been a male with the same resume she would have been bred a hundred times on reputation/resume alone. And I am pretty sure it would have been a lottery type win to get CH Angel all over again.

So the good dogs, even the great dogs, can come from anywhere.

Repeating the process will prove difficult.

EWO

Without a doubt my friend.

We had one in the 70's that his breeding was unknown.. Very good dog. He would put his nose to the floor to find the hog. We bred him to a Wilder bitch.. Got one decent one. But, nothing worth hunting.

There is a reason why you follow the blue print. It has been successful for many centuries prior to us.

You are correct but it is so much more fun chasing freaks. LOL

EWO