Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting young

Subscribed Member

Starting young

I've alway had problems getting dogs to work a spring pole or flirt pole. Some dogs would just do it and some wouldn't. So ive been bring this one and is sis inside everyother day for an hour or so and working/playing with them so I shouldn't have this problem with them.

Killerant
    THE WAY OF THE GUN

Re: Starting young

Quote Originally Posted by LEFTLANE
    [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU2HJWY ... ata_player [/youtube]

I've alway had problems getting dogs to work a spring pole or flirt pole. Some dogs would just do it and some wouldn't. So ive been bring this one and is sis inside everyother day for an hour or so and working/playing with them so I shouldn't have this problem with them.

Killerant
    I've noticed you can usually get them all to accomplish these by doing these exercises on the yard somewhere, where the rest can see. It becomes a "monkey see, monkey do" mentality.

Your best bet is to start them at a young age as the topic heading states. It is always easier to teach a pup to love something and keep it loving that particular something through it's growing time than it is to hope the grown, mature dog will love something it's never laid eyes on.

It's good to introduce them to things young, in a playfull manner. The flirtpole i was a bit sceptic about, but that's because i go full out with the grown ups. I'm busy making a small one for a pup of a friend, should be good for a pup about 4 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    [youtube:94lkgcn5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySE_rBScyw[/youtube:94lkgcn5]

It's good to introduce them to things young, in a playfull manner. The flirtpole i was a bit sceptic about, but that's because i go full out with the grown ups. I'm busy making a small one for a pup of a friend, should be good for a pup about 4 months old.
    THERE NICE FLASHY LOOKING PUPS NASH HOW ARE THE BREED ?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier of old irish stock. Thnx for the compliments. You should see them now.

Nash, I use the same flirtpole for pups as I do for my adults. You can go full out with pups with a flirt pole. They're not going to hurt themselves short of suffering an injury from one steamrolling the other.

My pups tear after the flirt just as adults do, and they're no worse for wear.

I agree with crofab. Start them young with the flirt pups are always wanting to chew and chase things. Get them use to the tool and when they get tired they'll just stop and go take a nap. No risk hurting them by keeping it low.

This can later be transitioned to a springpole once they get a hang of the flirt but honestly I don't care too much if a dog/pup doesn't really care for the springpole as I dont use it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Tudor View Post
    I've noticed you can usually get them all to accomplish these by doing these exercises on the yard somewhere, where the rest can see. It becomes a "monkey see, monkey do" mentality.

true that's the way i do when one won't engage in work this works for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Tudor View Post

Works that way with getting "cold" dogs to start sometimes too