Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I know it's no piece of cake but..... Build your own mill. Here's why....

I bought one from thailand, good price and a desent mill. Only problem I've had is that plastic slats(I could choose wooden or plastic) that have broked.

But otherwise it's a good mill and to a good price, and that included with the shipping-cost.

Yes I get that self satisfaction from doings things on my own as well, I will post a pic as soon as I'm done with it. Only drawback is the amount of time I have to actually get it done fast but hey it is what it is.

If you have the money, just buy one. It will same you a lot of time and headache. Take it from someone who has built a few and knows its not a walk in the park.
    I would post a couple of pics of some I've built out of scrap metal I had laying around but dont know how to do it, lol. good luck with your projects

I'm almost done just need to do my belt and paint it, not much time to work on it tho. Buying one is cool,but I get a lil more fulfillment out of using something I put together. Ask someone to post it for you Khalil.

Agreed. I try to make as many things for myself as I can. Sometimes they work just as good, sometimes better and sometimes not so well. A lot of times it is pretty much just to see if I can. I saw a carpet mill in the early 80's and in the 90's decided to build one myself. The first ones looked like buck shot hit the ends of it because I tried multiple end roller set ups to get where I wanted. Each one got a little better til I was finally happy with what I had created. So I applaud your efforts in making your own. Interested in your end product. EWO

I can tell you now belt and slacks are the biggest pain in the ass getting them square will test your temper best of luck

RoughNeck

All you need to square your belt is make 2 marks on a sheet of plywood ,chalk a line ,now screw one end of your belt to the line.then pull tight put a screw at the other end ,you can screw a 2x4 to the chalk line to butt the belt to.square off the first line and chalk a second line for the other belt .now you should be square ,now lay out your slats double check for squareness you will need spacers i between slats ..after you double check for squareness pre drill holes threw slats and belt counter sink in the slats .

Found a cabinet maker that has the ability to get them exactly how I want them as far as size and shape. Thanks for the advice WAC! What do you use to space them though I was thinking a dime or a washer

Thats nice craftsmanship Kahlil

Here is the first mill i built from scratch nothing to look at but purs like a kitten. This photo i used cheap material until i fine tuned every measurment so i wouldn't spend a fortune on my fuck ups. Next time i will just buy a mill.

RoughNeck