Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raised/Brood Kennels

I have three of them two night boxes that are 4'x4' that is used at night and also a 10'Lx6'Hx4'wide with mesh siding to allow sun light in deck flooring spaced just enuff so the dogs feet dont slip thru! Then we put tarp over it that we roll up in the summer to let the breeze in and drop it down over the winter to keep out that cold winter air. They do get wedded feet if u would but a daily walk or allowed to run a chain a few hours a day helps with that! Tell u this the one who is kept in the 10'x6'x4' is much more healthier and less baths and if i forget about a worming no real worries.easy to clean and he loves it just as much just u will need to get them. Out to move free

There's a site called coondawgs.com. They have a large brood pen on it that is 8-feet by 16-feet. I wouldn't keep a dog in there permanently without daily exercise. I understand the parasite avoidance issue but I would also think about the overall wellbeing of my dogs. If you have only a few that you could give daily exercise to, this might be feasible. If you have more than a few, chains is the way to go. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by BONEDADDY View Post
    There's a site called coondawgs.com. They have a large brood pen on it that is 8-feet by 16-feet. I wouldn't keep a dog in there permanently without daily exercise. I understand the parasite avoidance issue but I would also think about the overall wellbeing of my dogs. If you have only a few that you could give daily exercise to, this might be feasible. If you have more than a few, chains is the way to go. JMHO
    I agree with your last part. I have some friends who use above ground pens. Most of theirs are about 6x8 maybe less, they do have turn out spots their dogs get put on at least once daily, weather permitting.

I can see the need for these pens to keep a dog, have a brood bitch and her pups or one that is recovering. Other than that I feel it is to confining overall for a healthy bulldog to live this way.

I much prefer to have my dogs running freely on a 10 foot or larger chain spot, they seem happier to me kept this way.

S_B

Quote Originally Posted by ragedog10 View Post
    I have three of them two night boxes that are 4'x4' that is used at night and also a 10'Lx6'Hx4'wide with mesh siding to allow sun light in deck flooring spaced just enuff so the dogs feet dont slip thru! Then we put tarp over it that we roll up in the summer to let the breeze in and drop it down over the winter to keep out that cold winter air. They do get wedded feet if u would but a daily walk or allowed to run a chain a few hours a day helps with that! Tell u this the one who is kept in the 10'x6'x4' is much more healthier and less baths and if i forget about a worming no real worries.easy to clean and he loves it just as much just u will need to get them. Out to move free

Any pics?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Hi6fecVXE One of the best above ground brood pens I've seen. Garner doesn't half ass anything.

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Hi6fecVXE One of the best above ground brood pens I've seen. Garner doesn't half ass anything.
    Don't really like those, as the outside section is all plywood flooring.

Looks nice the day of construction, but after 2 straight years of dogs pissing on the plywood floor, it won't look so nice. Will never get the stanch of piss out either.

I much prefer 2x4 flooring, spaced an inch apart, for the outside flooring.

This allows for piss/shit to fall out, right after it comes out of the dogs, minimizing contact with the wood, rather than the pee/poop sitting there on plywood for hours (absorbing/ruining it) because it has nowhere to go.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    Don't really like those, as the outside section is all plywood. Looks nice the day of construction, but after 2 straight years of dogs pissing on the plywood floor, it won't look so nice. Will never get the stanch of piss out either.

I much prefer 2x4 flooring, spaced an inch apart, for the outside flooring.
    Yes I built one using 2x10's, my preference simply because I don't like the idea of a pup not have a somewhat solid surface to walk on. It kind of does defeat the purpose of having a slotted floor, but plenty of shit and piss still falls through the inch gaps.

Years ago I built a 1/2 inch plywood deck in a chain link kennel. It sat on treated 2x4's on the ground. I treated the plywood with sealer/stain and it lasted many years. It wasn't occupied constantly though but there wasn't any more smell than normal. I reapplied the sealer yearly. I added a cap full of bleach to the stain which is an old flooring trick to cover smell in nasty people's homes when remodeling.

Quote Originally Posted by CA JACK View Post
    This allows for piss/shit to fall out, right after it comes out of the dogs, minimizing contact with the wood, rather than sit there on plywood for hours (absorbing/ruining it) because it has nowhere to go.

Jack
    I bet ol Tom has staff standing by to catch any waste as soon as it comes out!

S_B

Maybe......anybody else catch the bag of ol roy? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CRISIS View Post
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by CRISIS View Post
    PREMIUM OLE ROY MIND YOU!

LOL.....Remember my "millionaire with 100+ dogs..." comment in the other thread?????